Proper Lighter for Zoas

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zenn

This topic has kind of already been beaten to death, so I'll try to keep it simple.

75g aquarium...I used to have a 265w PC fixture over it. Zoas did great and polyps extended far and full. I switched to dual 250w MH's with two 65w PC actinics...performed a 5 week acclimation procedure with window screen material...and to this day...almost 10 months later...my zoas still don't look as good as they did under the PC fixture. I have assumed this lack of polyp extension/lushness (whether correct or not) is because the lighting is too intense. Am I way off in my suspicions or what other factors could be causing this?

Mine are under 15k XM 400wt over driven with PFO HQI Ballest. Grow like crazy:)

mine grow. THey've just shrunk down to a smaller size since the new lighting. Have you ever used a less intense lighting system on your zoas?

Yes, At first 96wt 10k compact F PFO ballast The pic's below i just took. Under the lighting I posted above
IMG_2169.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_1410.jpg

IMG_2172.jpg

No touching up. Took in a hurry

Woah.
Those green stripes on those Eagles are sweet.
What k rating is your metal halide zenn?
You said that your zoas look smaller. It could be that somethig is eating them of bothering them.
At night look for things like nudis that are crawling over them.

i had 10k Coralvue bulbs up until a month ago...then I switched to Hamilton 14k. Maybe it's something else but it just seems to be the lighting.

Back