Proppagation of a colt coral

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

cutndrag2

I am haveing a problem with my colt coral getting to big, I got him as a birthday present from my girlfriend a year ago. He was the size of a tennis ball, and now he is bigger then a basketball and dominates the middle of my tank. He is in the middle of the tank and his arms are getting so long they are starting to reach to both ends of the tank and block views of other corals. I am nervous about propagating him because I don't want to kill him, but something has to be done. I have read in Anthony's book about useing rubberbands to constrict them and useing the tie-down method. Does anyone use another method that doesn't envolve cutting? And here is the coral.
Patrick

Well I going to give it a shot this weekend. Knowing my luck it will probably die man I would never here the end of that one you killed the birthday present I gave you. Brad if I cut him do you know about how long and how much mucus it will create I don't want that in the main tank and he is a little big for the quarantine tank?
Thanks Patrick

This is actually a pretty hardy species and can actually be a good money maker if conditions are kept right. There is some good step by step info on Garf's website but in general, cut them in smaller portions, usually about 1" of stalk below the "polyp" area. It should be easy to attach. You can use the method on Garf or simpley let nature take it's course. I prefer a HOB style breeder box with plenty of extra holes drilled into it for water flow and then a good layer of rock rubble on the bottom. It will attach fairly quickly. You can also place some rubble in a low lip plastic food grade container and cover it with veil material and place it on the bottom of the tank.

This species of coral is rather noxious so I would definately suggest using carbon once it's placed back in the tank. It will slime up pretty good after the initial fragging but that should quickly subside. Just be sure there's a decent amount of flow to prevent detritus accumulation and possible necrosis and you should be fine as long as water paramaters are optimum.

If it's for further use in your own tank, attach the base rubble as you like with some epoxy puddy and superglue gel. If for trade or resale, let them grow out a bit first. You'll get a little more "wow" factor and possibley a bit more on an LFS store credit/trade.

Cheers
Steve

Steve thanks for the link and helpful info. I let you guys know how it went this weekend. Patrick

Back