Pros and Cons of Kalk Reactors?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

i don't think that there really are any cons to a kalk reactor.. they make dosing Kalk pretty simple

imo get the magnetic stirrer. what about you don?

Id use a stirrer but not the magnetic, been there done that. The rod stirrers are great, I like the deltec but would not pay that much. Aquamedic came out with one recently and is a nice unit for the money. I just made my own when I used kalk.

Don

Pros:
  • Cheaper than Ca. Rxtr.
  • Pulls phosphates from the water
  • Takes some work out of dosing
Cons:
  • Potential PH spike (nuking)of the tank if not set up properly
  • Potential PH issues if your is high already

I could go on but its getting late. If you want to get nitty gritty there are pros and cons to every thing. I run a Ca. Rxtr and a kalk reactor and like them both. I know some people that wont, or quit using a kalk Rxtr due to the potential nuking issues.

if you get a kalwasser unit, i suggest getting a dosing pump that can replenish your evaporated water. get a pump that can match your evaporation rate cuz timers take to much time to calibrate

frags and info

Pros:
  • Cheaper than Ca. Rxtr.
  • Pulls phosphates from the water
  • Takes some work out of dosing
Cons:
  • Potential PH spike (nuking)of the tank if not set up properly
  • Potential PH issues if your is high already

I could go on but its getting late. If you want to get nitty gritty there are pros and cons to every thing. I run a Ca. Rxtr and a kalk reactor and like them both. I know some people that wont, or quit using a kalk Rxtr due to the potential nuking issues.

hey trido, thanks again for the generous frags at dangs restaurant. hopefully in the future i can return the favor. see ya at the next meet.

I have had mine for six years, it is so trouble free. Makes up all evaporation on a timer with dosing pump. Made mine and use a maxi 1200 to mix. Only maintenance has been replacing maxijet every couple of years and I dump the reactor about once a year. I add 2 cups of kalk every couple of months. Highly recommended.

I am getting ready to add a calcium reactor to the system. It will add more calcium and also help the ph from getting too high

Back