Protein skimmer a necessary?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BUlicny

I have a seaclone(yes I know Junk). I havent had it on for almost a week. Is it necessary to have one. My tank is a 55 gal, with external rena xp3(only mechanical filter in the canister). 2 aquaclear 50's. 55lb of live rock. Only 3 fish, one clown, one yellow tang and a damsel. 4 hermits, 15 snails, green bubble tip and a few corals, one cleaner shrimp and one peppermint.

Sounds alot like my set-up but like twillard said it Depends.

I actually did no water changes while I was not feeling well for like 5 years. My poor tang had a hole in her head but my black velvet damsel and my blue devil damsel loved it despite nitrates being off the chart.

Oh :) So what was the question?

Just looked back...how "live" is your live rock? Do you have little critters running around at night?

I have a CPR H.O.B. skimmer that I added an airstone to. Certainly not state of the art but I would not be without one either. :)

soit totally depends on what kind of coral you have and water changes. say you have softies/zoa w/ little lps/sps, those coral like neutrient rich water, sps/lps dont....also WC, once a week is good eitherway. lol but once a week and a crappy skimmer is OK for lps, not soo much sps, those guys need neutrient POOOOORRR water.

my montipora capricornus (sp) seems to be doing great under PC's and dirty -
10/15 ppm Nitrates. And my fish are happy :) How do I know cause I look.

thay are a must have and the skimmer must be working right the skimed water will look like a light tea
Brandon

I personally would never have a tank running without a skimmer on it. I think they are too much of a benefit and help not to use one. In any event, there are some people that do not use any, but I think the vast majority does. The decision will be totally up to:)

yes, you NEED a skimmer, unless you want to work your ass off...:)
my best advice is to ditch the canister filter, ditch the seaclown,
have high flow from powerheads or closed loop (2 of those korillia #4's would be great, or like 4 maxijet 1200's)
invest in a 10g glass tank as a sump, an overflow box, eheim return pump,
run carbon 24/7 and change out once a week. and use purified ro/di water for all top off and water changes.

as for the skimmer, you can still get a decent one for cheap;
http://www.reefnut.com/reefshop/product_info.php?cPath=47&products_id=112

or save your cash and get one of these
http://www.finsreef.com/product.php?productid=16133&cat=253&page=1

skimmers are the heart and soul of reef filtration, imo:)

Take a good look and sniff of someone elses skimmer cup and you will appreciate their function!

Last edited:
In spite of everyone saying you "need" a skimmer, keep in mind that there are people that do fine without them. I have a 10 gal that doesn't have a skimmer, but I do lots of water changes. Skimmerwhisperer is right though, you will add work without one. I have a 55 (not setup) but I was running an Aqua C EV-120 on it. For the most part, especially if you are new to the hobby, run a skimmer.

I know a couple people that dont run skimmers at all infact the only high tech item they have is lighting. But they do water changes every other day.

Thanks for the input. The lighting I have is T-5's. Two actinic blues 54w and two daylight 12k 54w also run 4 moon lights all in the hood. Im going to continue running the seaclone until I get my wife convinced we need a new one.

Back