? Protein Skimmer for a new Nano FOWLR ?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Oldsalt01

Planning a new Nano 14 or 29g FOWLR, and am wondering if it makes sense to run a protein skimmer as the tank starts it's cycle(s). Considering the potential hitch-hiker die-off on one hand it makes sense to get some of that protein out, but on the other hand it also makes sense that those organics will contribute to the ammonia spike to get the ball rolling. Opinions please. Technology has run away from me in the "hobby", and I'm tryin to catch up! And yes, I intend to foto document the process.

1st FO salt tank: 1970

many between

Last FOWLR: 1999

My suggestion is that if you can find a good one then do it. The problem is that getting one small enough might be a challenge, especially if you go with the 14. I've been running a 14g bio cube for about 3 and a half years without a skimmer because nothing any good will fit. I try to keep up on water changes. The last 6 months or so I've been a bit lazy and now have an algae problem that I'm trying to fix.

Thanx for the input snoozer. I was beginning to think no one was gonna reply. As I've done more research I've come to realize that H2O changes are probably the simplest way to go. As for you algae problem: get a lawnmower blenny if your bio-load will tolerate it. I had one 20 years ago and when my tank went wild with hair algae, he cleaned it up very nicely. They will also graze on the shorter algae and flake food and are a kick to watch. From what I've read, Coralife's skimmer is not really worth the $, nicht zo? Are you still using the stock lights or have you upgraded?

Yea, it seems like the participation in this site has dropped a lot. I am guilty of barely posting anything. But this site is a great resource and I've learned a lot from it.

I think I will get a blenny. I recently lost a firefish that I had for about 2 and a half years, so now I think there is room for one more.

I upgraded to LEDs about 2 years ago. They are much better than the stock compact fluorescents.

Can u give me some suggestions for lighting upgrades? One of the reasons I like the biocube is the fact that the lights have separate cords, cuz I'm thinking I want to set them up on dimmers, if possible. I'm a LONG way from starting my nano. We will be relocating back to florida in the next few months so it makes no sense to start one now only to move it, but the more I know, the easier it will be when I am ready. I can also budget for upgrades and have ammo for my wife when she wants to know why I'm spending $. ;-O

Urchins r another good thing for algae or rock clean up.

R u looking for lights to retro fit the lid or no lid is ok on the cube?!
I think cpr makes a skimmer for the back of biocubes. Tunze just came out with a new in tank skimmer if ur looking to spend the bucks. Hths
D

Can u give me some suggestions for lighting upgrades? One of the reasons I like the biocube is the fact that the lights have separate cords, cuz I'm thinking I want to set them up on dimmers, if possible. I'm a LONG way from starting my nano. We will be relocating back to florida in the next few months so it makes no sense to start one now only to move it, but the more I know, the easier it will be when I am ready. I can also budget for upgrades and have ammo for my wife when she wants to know why I'm spending $. ;-O

I bought a cheap DIY kit from China. The company was Aquastyle Online. I think the lights and components were pretty good quality but I had to solder everything myself. My DIY skills weren't all that great. Everything works but it could be better. Anyway I think that company now has better kits that are solderless. The price on LEDs has come down a lot since I bought mine, so you can probably find good deals locally.

If I were to do it again I would go with the 29g instead of the 14g. The extra space gives more options for skimmers and livestock. Just my opinion.

Good luck with your tank when you get started.

IMO-Best skimmers for tanks 20g and under are the Mame's. Ran with an air pump and wooden diffuser. Google DIY Mame Skimmer, or you can buy glass ones too.

Back