protein skimmer mod

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

125g

my protein skimmer seems to not get enough suction to create lots of bubbles if i drill the hole larger the connects to my airline to create more bubbles will this work?

Sounds like you have the wrong pump, or at least the wrong type of pump. That skimmer comes with a needle wheel pump and the one you have is not really a skimmer pump.

Sounds like you have the wrong pump, or at least the wrong type of pump. That skimmer comes with a needle wheel pump and the one you have is not really a skimmer pump.

man that sucks the guy at the lfs said the pump would drive the skimmer fine i guess will try and exchange it and see what happens or is there a way i can modify the impeller for it to work?

Last edited:
That does suck. You should post in the Equipment forum to see if someone can recommend a good replacement. You might be able to use one of the ASM replacement pumps sold at Marine Depot with a pin wheel impellar, but I'm not that experienced with it so see what some others might have to say. Specifically see if you can PM members SkimmerWhispere or Luke. Those guys know TONS about skimmer mods.
I had a Coralife 65 that I used for a while. It improved vastly after mesh modding the impellar. Also, if you are running that skimmer as a HOB, make sure you clean the salt creep out of the venturi bi-weekly. They are notorious for overflowing without warning and that means water on your floor. I have personal experience with that.

are you the guy that got that skimmer for Paul at indoor reef??
I was the little midget type guy there getting some food..
LOL nice to see you here!!

ok switched and played with some of the adapters that came with the pump and o man did that make a difference bubbles are going crazy i didnt have to rig anything up and if the first three hours i got about a half cup of nasty gunk! thought i'd share thanks guys and gals

the coralifes are not known for the best bubble production, what ever pump you apply. The do work but aren't the one of the best skimmers out there. IMO, you just can't compare a coralife's production with against what you see with many other skimmers.

hey that's great that it's working! Did you just have it hooked up wrong? If you can, move the pump up as close to the surface of the water as possible without it sucking in air. I found that about an 1" from the surface worked pretty ggod when I used a CL 65.

hey that's great that it's working! Did you just have it hooked up wrong? If you can, move the pump up as close to the surface of the water as possible without it sucking in air. I found that about an 1" from the surface worked pretty ggod when I used a CL 65.

ya i had the airline adapter on the outlet instead of the inlet of the pump and once i took it apart i realized i could put a different adapter on the inlet :oops: but very happy with the bubbles and for that cheap she will do for now o and thanks chicas for the advice i'll try that out

Back