Protein skimmer recommendations

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

af_hall14

We're setting up a 120 this weekend. Already have a 46 bow and it has a hang on sea clone. Inexpensive but it works well.
We'll have a sump on the 120.... Please make some recommendations on in-sump protein skimmers. Low to high priced.

THanks

euro-reef ,asm, or my reef creations any model rated for 250 gallons or more should do nicely ,if your even thinking of ozone I thick those will all work fine but be sure to ask :)

I will recommend "reefannatics" a local reefer here but does exceptional job comparable to major brand names out there. Nicely priced with a good performance on its products.

His name here is reeffan or Jonathan.

Yes, he makes them and the brand is REEFFANATICS i think.
I have a kalkreactor from him. And a lot of people here locally is already using his calcium reactor, skimmer and many other stuff...

I believe his skimmer is "beckett style"

af_hall14 - are you limited to the height of the skimmer, as in under the stand? I have a Euro-Reef CS8-3 on my 120 gallon, but had also considered the AquaC EV240.

I'm not completely sure about the room I'll have... I'll know more this weekend so I can narrow it down then. I don't want to buy a cheap one but I can't spend $300-$400 on one either. The ASM is average priced and I'll definitely check the others once I see what my dimensions are going to be.

It is awfully hard to beat a Euro-Reef for ease of operation, its just plug and play and one simple riser tube to adjust, no air valves or other things to worry about. I ran one and loved it, I now have a Deltec on my bigger tank and I do believe it is a little better, but very expensive.

Last year the plastic on my AquaC 180 started cracking and crazing within a few months of installation, so I reported this to the manufacturer. After going round and round for 4-5 months, I finally got a new one from them but it did not have the John Guest fitting like it was supposed to. I run ozone and need to use it as a mixing chamber. I contacted the company again, they apologized, but proceded to ignore further communications with me. Beware both the product and the company. Hey, anybody want to buy a brand new factory sealed AquaC 180?

My vote is for Euro-Reef. I have never had a problem with mine, skims a consistent amount weekly. They have cheaper models, I think the RS series, that work the same as the more expensive ones. I am looking for another skimmer and I will either go with a another Euro-reef or ASM.

Back