Protein skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Poolman

I have a 75 gallon tank and was told to get a protein skimmer. I don't want one that hangs on the tank. Is their one that can mount on the refugium under the tank. Any suggestions?

My refugium is 26" by 16" by 10". I think its about 25 gallons. I have about 13" on one side to put the skimmer.

sorry red six, im sure it works great for you, but i strongly dislike the aqua c remora, remora pro or any other aqua c skimmer for that matter...
they are utter garbage, and overpriced to boot.
...just take my word for it as the local skimmer guru, i sell skimmers for a living, i've got no reason to steer you wrong;).

for a 75g average mixed reef, these skimmers i think would be perfect, going from cheapest to most expensive;

octopus nw 150 or 200 $180-$240 (must mesh mod impellar, mod venturi for top performance)
euroreef rs-80 $250 (again must modify for best performance)
MSX octopus extreme 160 $300
coralvue octopus pro 200 $500
ATI bm 160 $500
ATB small cone skimmer $800

i think mabye the msx octopus extreme is the most power for the least money, but skimmers are like shoes, you get what you pay for.
if your doing sps it pays to buy the best skimmer you can, if your doin' softies well then you can get away with less skimming power.
but the bottom line is either your filtration cleans the tank, or you do.:)

Last edited:
sorry red six, im sure it works great for you, but i strongly dislike the aqua c remora, remora pro or any other aqua c skimmer for that matter...
they are utter garbage, and overpriced to boot.
...just take my word for it as the local skimmer guru, i sell skimmers for a living, i've got no reason to steer you wrong;).

for a 75g average mixed reef, these skimmers i think would be perfect, going from cheapest to most expensive;

octopus nw 150 or 200 $180-$240 (must mesh mod impellar, mod venturi for top performance)
euroreef rs-80 $250 (again must modify for best performance)
MSX octopus extreme 160 $300
coralvue octopus pro 200 $500
ATI bm 160 $500
ATB small cone skimmer $800

i think mabye the msx octopus extreme is the most power for the least money, but skimmers are like shoes, you get what you pay for.
if your doing sps it pays to buy the best skimmer you can, if your doin' softies well then you can get away with less skimming power.
but the bottom line is either your filtration cleans the tank, or you do.:)

Calling a skimmer garbage that skims very well, takes up little room, does not need modification to work, and cost $225 including pump is a bit harsh.

where can you get a BM160 for 500? everywhere ive seen them is much higher... 500 might actually be in my price range :) i HAVE to get rid of my POS kent nautilus... cant take the salt creep from the seams and so-so skimming anymore!

(sorry to highjack :) )

I love my Aqua C Remora

FYI~ I LOVE my Aqua C Remora! I had (keyword had) a different more expensive skimmer on my 55 g bowfront, I just had to put all my corals in the sump to my other tank (55 long) and shut it down.
The airline intake keeps filling up with salt, and that happened while I was on a business trip and viola! Instant dying tank! I lost my Pink skunk clown and foxface :cry:, but saved the cleanup crew, corals, polyps and mushrooms. Now I have to clean out the tank and start over :(

Needless to say, it is going in the trash and has already been replaced with a Remora to match my other setup!

Why I love the Remora:
Not over-engineered, nothing to clog, pump is extremely easy to replace if needed, skimmer collection cup lifts off while the skimmer is running, no priming, nothing to attach, looks classy, adjustment is rediculously simple, salt crust wipes off the surface and it looks new again, almost silent! (I should also mention it doesn't fail when I am gone on business trips and my husband doesn't notice!!)

Why I don't like other styles:
There are so many ways they can clog; airlines, intakes, outlets etc. Noisy, adjustment is practically impossible to get the way you want it, either it is foaming too much and the collection cup runs over in a few hours, or it isn't enough. Most you have to shut down to take off and empty the collection cup. Some are even difficult to get the cup off like the one I had. Salt gets in everything over time and doesn't clean off easily. Can I say bubbles in the tank?? ugh...

The Remora wouldn't obviously be for a large tank, but for mine it's a fantastic setup.

Calling a skimmer garbage that skims very well, takes up little room, does not need modification to work, and cost $225 including pump is a bit harsh.

i would say it DOES NOT skim well. no offense, but im guessing you havnt owned many skimmers that perform well...how many/what skimmers have you owned?

it takes up so little room because there is so little skimming...
$225 for something that is a poor performer at best is too much to pay. there are several skimmers in that price range that are great. probably twice, three times the skimmer of the remora pro.
also, spending 10 min to mod a pump is really not that big of a deal. especially if you double your power.

unce...tice...fee times a skimmmmer.... an i wuuuuve yuuuuuu.....

Why I don't like other styles:
There are so many ways they can clog; airlines, intakes, outlets etc. Noisy, adjustment is practically impossible to get the way you want it, either it is foaming too much and the collection cup runs over in a few hours, or it isn't enough. Most you have to shut down to take off and empty the collection cup. Some are even difficult to get the cup off like the one I had. Salt gets in everything over time and doesn't clean off easily. Can I say bubbles in the tank?? ugh...

"they"?? which "they" are we talking about?? that describes every crappy skimmer out of china sold at mom and pop/big chain pet stores in anytown usa.

where can you get a BM160 for 500? everywhere ive seen them is much higher... 500 might actually be in my price range :) i HAVE to get rid of my POS kent nautilus... cant take the salt creep from the seams and so-so skimming anymore!

(sorry to highjack :) )

here you go:
http://www.reefgeek.com/filtration/...ster/Bubble_Master_160_Protein_Skimmer_by_ATI

but you might as well get this, it's virtually the same skimmer. a knock off of the ati/bk. same pump, just made in china instead of germany. granted, the build quality is just slightly less than the ATI.
http://www.marinesolutionsinc.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=22_48

wow... everyone has a right to an opinion...

All I have to say is I love the simple, classy & effective style of the Remora/Urchin for the size of my tanks. I will not reply to your agressive posts or defend myself to you.

yikes...

Back