Protein Skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

loluckyve

Still amazed
Did water change and now skimmer isn't working, pump fills it with wter but thats it. Suggestions on how to fix
t

Normal
Don’t worry about it, it will start working again soon as the salt all dissolves in the water.

If I had to guess you mixed it up and put it in the tank with out letting it stir for a couple of days. Every time I do a water change mine does the same thing and so does my brothers. Just let it go every thing is fine.

It must have something to do with surface tension. The first time it happened to me I freaked out and thought my new skimmer just kicked the bucket. I’ve also had it happen when ever I’ve added salt directly to the sump. All of a sudden the skimmer looks like its just pumping water. There is still air in it but the bubbles are very big and don’t collect in the chamber. Really strange.

I adjusted the overflow, fixed water level and I'm back in business. Thanks for your speedy replies, everyone is always so helpful

try pluging the air line then pluging it in, let it run for 5min give or take. then unplug the air line. how i have to start up my HOB one.

you need to replace the impeller. Mine did the same thing right out of the box when I would unplug it and plug it back in. Aquacave was great about it and sent me the pinwheel impeller free of charge since this is a known issue on the Octo's. What model do you have? You definitely want the pinwheel if it's available for your pump.

+1 on something being stuck in the air intake. Could be salt creep. I have had that before. remember that air is being pulled an opening that salt water is being pulled through. So salt creep can build quick. If you take the line off every once in a while and rinse it with freshwater and get all of that salt creep out it will help with that.

Back