Protein Skimmers whats the best!!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

depends on the need of your tank. but reasonalby priced and well built skimmer would be a
SWC 250 Protein Skimmer . or extra 200 or so get the cone. Or make matt125 build one for yah :D
EDIT WRONG PoSTING AREA>>>

in australia u get limted supply of skimmers you can get them but have to special order them in from what i have seen the H&S skimmers seem to run quiet well even with such a basic design that i feel i could make myself
i dont know what anyone will say about this but i quiet like the catalina aquarium skimmers they are reasonable price come with a nice pump and seem to churn out the ****, they seem quiet well made have a triple bypass for longer air contact time an adjuastble head hight,drain in the cup and u can run ozone on it not much more i can ask for from a $au300 skimmer rated to 1000l

just talking about skimmers in general, nothing over like 1g cause most of those are great. More less 29gal to 200. Just wondering what people like and what skimmers people don't like that have tried ect.. catch my drift? :)

deltec................ look at there lineup you will not be dissapointed, and they will hold alot of value for the future. IMHO

just talking about skimmers in general, nothing over like 1g cause most of those are great. More less 29gal to 200. Just wondering what people like and what skimmers people don't like that have tried ect.. catch my drift? :)

sorry, just caught this post..

so a skimmer for up to 200g but less than 1k??

if you want the most power for the least watts and an great design, then get this skimmer:
http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=17

ATB's BK's and WM skimmers are a little better, but bang for the buck, this is hard to beat...

I ordered this one for my 90 gallon
http://www.shop.reeffiltration.com/product.sc?categoryId=2&productId=20

The only issue I have had so far is it was out of stock and the shipping got screwed up from the supply house, NOT FROM reeffiltration.com where I bought it. Reeffiltration.com has emailed me every step of the way on the shipping issues. I would buy from them again

I should get it tomorrow and I can't wait. Then it is just the 7 to 10 break in.

I guess email Luke and make sure the skimmer is in stock

Pure opinion here.
1) My first skimmer was a CPR backpack back in the early 2000's. Skimmed ok for the tank it was on but was otherwise junk - just not well built.
2) Next was an Aqua C Remora with Maxijet. This sucker seemed pretty good but I only had it on a nano (20 long) tank but didn't have it up and running for very long. Seemed like quality construction with decent results.
3) My third skimmer was a step backwards bigtime - Red Sea Berlin. It would build up sludge on the inside and always needed cleaning and the only way to fill the collection cup was to partially plug the outlet holes and drive the skimmate that had collected in the tube up and into the cup. Worst skimmer ever built IMO.
4) Finally, I ended up with a Reef Octopus NW 150 needle wheel skimmer and could not be happier. It is on a moderately stocked 90 gallon. Very adjustable skimmate control, easy to use, quiet, and seems to get some pretty good skimmate. And yes, I would recommend this skimmer to a friend!:D

Back