Protein skimming with Ozone?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

blk822822

It's only money, RIGHT?
I have a ozone machine I was going to hook to my skimmer but don't know if it's worth it. Anyone here use Ozone???? And is a reefoctopus NW150 skimmer Ozone safe? The Ozone machine I have will do a room of 3000sq.ft. and is adjustable 0-3000sq ft. I want to try it to see if my skimmer works better.And if it does I will buy a real Ozone maker for the skimmer.

Last edited:
i use ozone and its awesome. keeps my tank crystal clear. I run mine thru my skimmer. make sure you have a carbon bag that you skimmer dumps into and carbon bag on the vent on the skimmer. this will absorb any left over ozone as ozone is hazzardus?

Why is ozone unsafe. Isn't it the byproduct of the broken down waste thats bad??? And do I need to actually have the skimmer dump the water into carbon?

you can smell it if its not dumped into carbon. also you can get a really bad headache and in extreme cases die from ozone exposure. did you buy one already. IF so the directions will tell you all that needs to be done to insure the safe use of ozone.

No havn't bought one yet. I have one for deoderizing rooms and cars. It's in a unit like a box fan. I was going to just let it blow into the air hose on the skimmer, but that sounds like a bad idea now.

No havn't bought one yet. I have one for deoderizing rooms and cars. It's in a unit like a box fan. I was going to just let it blow into the air hose on the skimmer, but that sounds like a bad idea
now.

yea sounds like that wont work and not a wise choice. definatly read up on them. there are several different manufactures out there. I chose the redsea one as I got it at a great price and if I ever need to replace it will go with an ozonetech unit. here is a nice set up one to check out.

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/store/ozotech-poseidon-200-kit.html

I use ozone and have for many of years. I use the Sanders brand because all the major aquariums use this brand. From time to time you have to clean the unit but if you watch it you will know by how long it runs.

If you have an Aqua Controller or APEX you can just buy their probe and enable it. If you do not have one of these you will need to buy a controller for it. If I remember right Milwaukee SMS510 is the one you need for stand alone.

I have one laying around here somewhere. If you do buy a used one remember to make sure they never dried out the probe. Once they are wet they have to stay wet / moist during transport.

Hope this helps

Oh about the carbon.

You just put some in a nylon sack and place it over the air vent on the top of your collection cup

I never heard of placing it over the collection cup but carbon over the outlet of the skimmer I have ran it when I used ozone. it is best to get a cheap coralife skimmer to run it if you are unsure if your skimmer is not compatible. also running a mesh mod ozone will deteriorate it also so you will need to replace it more often

I never heard of placing it over the collection cup but carbon over the outlet of the skimmer I have ran it when I used ozone. it is best to get a cheap coralife skimmer to run it if you are unsure if your skimmer is not compatible. also running a mesh mod ozone will deteriorate it also so you will need to replace it more often

they reccomend that you put it on the out flow from your skimmer and also the vent on the collection cup. If I forget on mine, the next time I open my cabinet I can smell it. I also run mine thru my cheap coralife skimmer.

runnning ozone through your skimmer is benificial as long as you
A. have a controller that will measure ORP and shut off the ozone.
B. you have a skimmer that can handle it...most skimmers made from cell cast acrylic and pvc are fine, but some of the cheaper thinner plastics might not be... it's probably a smart idea to check with the manufacturer to be sure.

ozone does make it harder for bacteria to grow and will stunt it slightly if you employ ozone constantly, and yes it will eat all the flesh off of every fish/coral/invert if it was accidently allowed to operate unhindered, so it isnt without it's potential difficulties. think of it as an antibiotic or a disinfectant that you could use too much of.

they reccomend that you put it on the out flow from your skimmer and also the vent on the collection cup. If I forget on mine, the next time I open my cabinet I can smell it. I also run mine thru my cheap coralife skimmer.

I read on some website for ozone if you have carbon over the vents and smell ozone coming off the water you are trying to pump too much at one time and need to turn down your output. Better to have slow and steady than fast and over.

As quoted here:
skimerwhisperer said:
if you employ ozone constantly.

Back