Protien-Skimmer...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

meedo

HI guys am new to reef tanks:)
i have a 20 Gallons reef tank . with 2 clownfish and green polyps .. Do i need to buy a protien skimmer ?? and what does it helps with ????? :?: .
//// is it important\\\\
thanks to all who reply ... :)

i'll try to upload my tank's photos as soon as possible..

Last edited:
Yes, I would reccommend a protien skimmer for any marine tank, especially if you are new to the hobby. Protien skimmers work on the principle of water tension to remove many wastes directly from the water. Get a good one...the AquaC Remora and CPR BakPak are both top-notch skimmers under $200....

MikeS

A protein skimmer is a form of mechanical filtration which removes waste from the water before it breaks down. A hang-on or canister filter also does this, but the waste trapped in the floss or sponge will still break down leaking nutrients into the water column.

That being said, in a small tank a protein skimmer isn't critical. Frequent water changes are easy enough and work well keeping the tank clean.

No...not "critical", but definately very beneficial, and a good way to keep water quality higher between changes, lending to the overall stability of the tank.

MikeS

I agree with Mike...I figure why not use one when they can make life so much easier:) As suggested, the AquaC remora's are a good buy. I have the Remora nano on my Aquapod and it skimms really well. If you saw a collection cup from a skimmer and what it pulls out of the water, you'll understand why it is necessary.:)

HTH and Welcome to the forum if I haven't welcomed you already:)

I have an aqua medic turboflotor hang on style on my 50gal does a great job. fish in the tank are 1 powder blue 1 flame hawk 1 falco hawk 1 mandarin dragonnet and numerous lps and softies.

Last edited by a moderator:
No...not "critical", but definately very beneficial, and a good way to keep water quality higher between changes, lending to the overall stability of the tank.

MikeS
Agreed, 100%

Right now I am having issues with my Remora, so if I was starting new I might try something different like maybe a CSS 65. The Remora overall has done good though, and AquaC support has been super so I can't speak badly about them :)

thanks for all who replied :) . But i dont have place to the skimmer inside the tank cuz my tank is about 20 gallons .. And all the skimmers i found are big ... so are there any liquids or ??..... i can use instead of the skimmer..

Last edited:
I had to upgrade skimmers so i'm selling my Aqua C Remora. It's in perfect working condition, and there's no cracks. I've had it about a year and it's skimmed flawlessly. Super easy to use and made very well.

WHat you need for a 20 is a HOB skimmer: [hang on back]. Nothing but inflow and outflow tubes go into your tank. They function somewhat like a water treatment plant: sewage in, clean water out. They also help with aeration, a big plus.

I dont have any idea about HOB skimmer .. where can i find it (website) ?? or what it looks like ???:confused:

Back