protien skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Not really sure what I'd read that I havent already. Its a matter of time and materials I could lathe up or machine a skimmer from a picture then its just a matter of the pump and mixing the air just right. I guess the point I'm trying to make is for a grand I bet I could stamp out 3-5 of those spendy skimmers, but then my time is worth somthing lol it would be easier to just take one out of a box.

For the cost of materials plain cheap skimmer are cheaper to just buy. For the high end units like BK then I think you can save some money as long as you don't waste a lot on your own R&D and just make a clone.

Don

Not really sure what I'd read that I havent already. Its a matter of time and materials I could lathe up or machine a skimmer from a picture then its just a matter of the pump and mixing the air just right. I guess the point I'm trying to make is for a grand I bet I could stamp out 3-5 of those spendy skimmers, but then my time is worth somthing lol it would be easier to just take one out of a box.

For cylinder skimmers yes i wouldn't spend a grand on one no matter what. On cone's its different because they are much harder to make and the normal diy can't make them. So if you plan on making a cone skimmer with an askoll pump it will cost you atleast 200bux for the pump mod and a few hundred for the cone and plumbing. So you'll pry dump 600-700 to make that cone. On a cylinder you can get some cheap extruded acrylic tubing and pry spend 100bux on acrylic and plumbing and 200on a askoll. So you could build a bk clone for 300bux.....which would be worth it :D

Cones are very easy to make and in the long run cost much less to build than a cylinder if you don't mind the seem. If you don't feel real handy bending sheet cast tubing is easy to "V" cut and the finished off in a regular old kitchen oven. A small cone body like SWC sells for 200 can be made for less than 60 but then again what your time is worth is up to you.

Don

Cones are very easy to make and in the long run cost much less to build than a cylinder if you don't mind the seem. If you don't feel real handy bending sheet cast tubing is easy to "V" cut and the finished off in a regular old kitchen oven. A small cone body like SWC sells for 200 can be made for less than 60 but then again what your time is worth is up to you.

Don

It would pry take me 300bux to diy cone as i would screw the first 4 up : ) I don't think there's a high % of people who would do this. But if you can, thats great! If you can build your own cnc then this should be cake man. :razz:

Back