PSAS members

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

warforged

MMORPG Addict!
To you members out there in the RF ...

So what do you guys do at the meetings and what is it like? I am about to buy a membership at Indoor Reef ..

I've always been a recluse since turning 30 few years ago...so being social is not my strong point nowadays.

I was thinking of checking things out and actually meeting people.:eek:

I just fear going in to the meetings because I am such a noob to reefs. Though I have learned a lot from RF Forums...I still find myself learning something in here daily. I am also a bit embarrassed about my tank and history of troubles..though now doing well...its nothing great YET.

I guess I can say im a bit shy or sheepish when it comes to going to a get together.

Warforged,

Please check out this page on our website to get an idea of what we have done at past meetings http://thepsas.org/forum/calendar.php

Please do not worry about your experience level (we have members at all levels of experience), or the troubles you have had or will have with your tank, almost every one of us has been/or are there. The meetings are not only a good place to learn (Jake Adams talk on water flow last weekend has had me changing things in my tank all week) but also are a great opportunity to meet others who understand reef talk.

I hope to meet you at a meeting real soon!

ill visit from home PC when I get a free moment... Though thats the easy way to check on scheduled things... I also wondered what Unscheduled things happen ..

Like do you all go out to eat together ...go bowling... sit at some brew house and shoot the breeze... you know... just out of the ordinary things.

Also figure this thread topic could draw more attention from on the fence people about joining if we discussed things here to =)

Warforged we just recently joined Hubby and I and we love it everyone is very welcoming and the stuff you learn about is just amazing it is definitely WORTH it plus you get a discount. The next meeting will actually be more of a party since Holiday time is coming but you should really check it out.

warforged, At past meetings there's been guest speakers, frag trades, DIY workshops, picnics and raffle drawings, and tank tours.

Here's a slideshow of 2006 PSAS meetings.
2006 PSAS year in review

Next month's PSAS Xmas party would be a good time to come out and meet the fellow PSAS members. Hope to see you there, Todd.

PSAS members are some of the best people around. You will learn allot, make new friends, and have a local group of folks to share the great pastime of reefing. Being part of a local group makes it all more fun.

Gary

To you members out there in the RF ...
So what do you guys do at the meetings and what is it like? I am about to buy a membership at Indoor Reef ..
I've always been a recluse since turning 30 few years ago...so being social is not my strong point nowadays.
I was thinking of checking things out and actually meeting people.:eek:
I just fear going in to the meetings because I am such a noob to reefs. Though I have learned a lot from RF Forums...I still find myself learning something in here daily. I am also a bit embarrassed about my tank and history of troubles..though now doing well...its nothing great YET.
I guess I can say im a bit shy or sheepish when it comes to going to a get together.

warforged,
when you arrive at your first meeting we usually make you stand up on a stage where we test you on your reef knowledge, then if we dont like what we hear, we throw buckets of detritus water on you from member's waterchanges. then you must learn the secret hand shake, put the sticker on the back of your car which prevents you from being pulled over, take a secret oath and swear to us your first born... then your good to go!!
so you should have no problems.

seriously though...:D

it's totally relaxed, and a very freindly atmosphere, and you are in no way required to participate in any of the reindeer games if you do not wish it.
you can just sit and watch quietly and say nothing all the way to make an utter fool of yourself, either are fairly appropriate behavior:)

Mark thats mean.... I mean really its not the detrius water thats the problem its the Skimmate that gets ugly :) Coming form someone who is pretty shy and not the most social person out there; oh and what Soyadrink said... Its a very friendly crowd who is of all experience levels and I have yet to meet someone who I did not like. I am 29 going on 30 next year there are a lot of us in all age ranges all the way down to Soyadrink (Nlelson) who is a wee lad of 16 :) all the way up to Skimmerwhisperer (Mark) who is what MArk 85? All joking aside please join us you will meet friends who will be there to help you through.

Let me tell you this. Coming from foreigner,:D, I have done the 600 mile trip over for a couple of the summer picnics and raffles, and I have always felt really welcome......................... well, except for the year they ran me out of town for winning the tank raffle.:lol::lol::lol::lol: Mark, God love him, poured leftover skimmate in my Pyramid Hef, then told me he would pour it in my gas tank if I didn't leave right away.:lol::lol::lol::lol:
Seriously tho, there's a good bunch of folks where you are at and they always welcome new additions, especially if you come over to talk reefs!!! Just .02 from a Montana guy who always felt real welcome over yonder.

Warforged, I think you'll love becoming a member of PSAS!! I hope to soon, myself.

However a word of warning...As much as we all hope and pray that Mark (skimerwhisperer) is joking, I must warn you, he doesn't joke:evil:...doesn't have a joking bone in his body....not even sure he has any bones in his body. Prepare to get wet and smelly!!:p I'll wear slickers to my first meeting!!!

LOL, I had not seen where this thread took off to!

Mark, remember we are trying to attract new members, not chasing them away:lol:!!

Back