Puget Sound Reef Tanks

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

. i was thinking. for steve stock is easy cause he dives. but we cant get the same live stock as him cause we dont have the time or we rn't cirtified oor what ever the reason may be. wrong... if uve ever looked under a single rock at golden gardens u can find stars, anemones, colorful crabs, hermits some times neat fish. so really anyone can get free live stock easly.

nate

I will dive for any critters anybody wants. Just pay my own expenses for the dive, and I will bring you back as much of anything you are looking for. There are some really increadible looking things in certian places down there.

I was reading some diving guide written by Jacque Custo, and he actaully listed the puget sound area as his personal favorite location on earth to dive. Now, after diving in a bunch of tropical locations, I think the man must have been high, however, its cooler(in both meanings of the word) down there than most people would think.

Many of the public beaches such as Golden Gardens in King County are marine preserves so it is illegal to do any collecting. Best to check with DFW on where it's okay to collect, what you can collect and if you need a license.

Yes, there are reserves.....so, you have to check each dive site. My dive books plus local dive shops are also helpful in determining the reserves. Permits can be obtained online (personal use only...no commercial). Each part of the Sound has different stuff.....some of my favorites are Deception Pass, Burrows Island by Anacortes,and Sekiu by Port Angeles. There are really few fish species worth collecting. This is one worth collecting, though....a grunt sculpin...

gruntsculpin.jpg

wow beautiful fish. is this the only fish u collected in the puget sound?

and where can i get a permit online?

thanks
nate =]

Yes, that's the only Puget Sound fish that I have. The fishing, shelfish, and seaweed collection licenses can be found on the DFWL website. I think I paid around $80 for all three and it runs from Mar06 -Mar07.

Steve,
I wish we could just have you visit and show some of your slides with Dives. Ok, I will be quiet.

steve do u have any pictures of ytour biscuit stars and sun stars id love to see them!

and is deception pass a reserve?

thanks
nate =]

Deception Pass is not a reserve (at least where we were) to my knowledge....just a tricky dive. The currents are very strong through that narrow pass and a chase boat above is a must. Here's my latest addition....these are not out of the Sound; but, supposedly, they can be found in the Sound. These (corynactus....aka strawbery anemones) came to me as a trade from a buddy.

corynactus.jpg

Last edited:
Here are a few biscuit pics....I don't have any sun star pics handy....I guess I need to take some.

batstar.jpg

2stars.jpg

Not a biscuit...but, cool nonetheless...

redstar1.jpg

I have been keeping a small tidepool tank all of my life (I'm old)
I am in Long Island in NY and we have many tidepools. I have a boat so many of the tidepools are available to me that are inacessable to others.
Virtually all of the animals in tidepools will live without a chiller because as was already stated the water normally goes over 90 degrees in shallow pools.
The only local animal I can't keep in an unchilled tank are local hermit crabs and horseshoe crabs which will only live a couple of weeks. But the shrimp, green crabs, fiddler crabs, Japanese shore crabs, blue crabs, rock crabs, snails, worms amphipods, barnacles and many fish will live forever. I use no light or filtration and just a small powerhead for agitation. When I change my tropical reef water I use this old water to change the local tank water.
I throw in some pellets every few days.
It is very interesting to watch.
Yesterday I collected some eggs, I have no Idea what they are from but I look everyday to see if I can see something new swimming around.
Have a great day.
Paul

Wow thats really interesting! Do you happen to have any pics of it? I just got back from my vacation and brought back some snails and hermits so we'll see how they do.

i saw an article in the seattle times on june 27. front page. its all about a huge coral bed in the ruget sound. mostly softies and gorganians i think. the photograph that went with it had 3 hawk fish ( i think ) resting in a soft coral. they were nice looking. might be an idea for another nice fish for your tank steve! has anyone started a cold water tank yet?

nate

Back