pulsing zenia issues

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

JoonKim1984

Hi, i just wanted to see what you guys thought. I bought a large rock from a fellow RF person here and the anemone i bought from this person is doing great but the zenias are withering away. I did google it and lead me to a few different places telling me the zenia like dirtier water.... that they dont survive in well in pristine water conditions.

my question is what can i do to keep them alive and happy? should i do a water change every 2 weeks instead of every week or yea i dont know. over feed? lol i dont want to because everyone else in my tank is happy. only issues is the zenia

update or forgot to mention: ive also read that there might not be enough iodine in my system. that is one of the things that i dose once a week. if this is the case should i dose more?

Last edited:
if u cant test for it dont dose it. iodine is a mineral in the salt mix, with regular water changes you should never have to dose it.

I do water changes every Wednesday 10%. will ill go get a test for it and see if its enough. I was told protein skimmers can pull that out of the system. is this true Senji?

I which tank are you keeping these in. I would only do your water changes every 2 weeks at the most. In my 50 gallon I only do changes once every three weeks, test every week and my pulsing xenias are doing great. They do like dirtier water but it doesn't have to be that dirty, but they love nitrates, thus a little dirtier water. I was told by Bob Fenner of Wetwebmedia, Aquarium, Pond, Marine and Freshwater Fish, reef tanks, and Aquatics Information is that you do not want 0 nitrates, too many corals depend nitrates. If you have under 20 ppm, that is about where you want to be. I had the same question.

Back