pump for a simple closed loop

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

beoks

i wanted to add a very simple closed loop while i was moving the tank. the tank is a 300 8ft long and its going in wall i just wanted to get some of the power heads out, what pumps should i consider? What would you change about this set up if it was yours?

well that would remove a ffew power heads but I woulld put at least 4 outlets.. such a large tank ..
I use a reefflo DART and I love it but you would prolly want to go with something bigger in a 300 gallon tank.. (hammerhead)

I agree, you will need more outlets unless they are huge. Four 3/4" outlets are about right for a dart at 3K gph.

Don

I also have 4 3/4" outlets in my 125 from a DART pupm works good too but he should spread out his outlets to 4 locations in stead of two with split lockline??
Get more coverage and flow would'nt you think???

Would need 4 3/4 outlets comming from a 1.5 manifold. Splitting with lockline is not an outlet and will just cut the flow. Just a waste of the pumps power. Really a little dart is much smaller than I'd use on a tank that big. The return pump in my 55 is a dart with 4 outlets and its not really much flow at all.

I agree & would consider a larger pump on a tank that size & yes you need to size your outlets properly depends on the pump you use.

ya I guess I forgot to mention I run 2 ilwaki pumps for return pumps with 6 outlets as well as the dart with 4 outlets spreadout and sea swirls

ya I guess I forgot to mention I run 2 ilwaki pumps for return pumps with 6 outlets as well as the dart with 4 outlets spreadout and sea swirls

Well yea If he does add more pumps & pH's then that would add up to more flow. I personally like moving the most with the CL & maybe two outlets from a return with SS to randomize it would be a good idea also.
Point is there are many options to consider & planning ahead will pay off once it is full of water.

so would the best position for two more outlets be towards the front blowing back on the rocks towards the overflows. i dont have the over flows build yet, is two one inch overflows going to be enough? im debateing drilling two more holes putting two down the sump and one return in each corner i figure i can always tune down with a ball valve? id rather do it overkill now while the tank is empty? any thoughts??

I would agree at this point it cant hurt:rolleyes:
so would the best position for two more outlets be towards the front blowing back on the rocks towards the overflows. i dont have the over flows build yet, is two one inch overflows going to be enough? im debateing drilling two more holes putting two down the sump and one return in each corner i figure i can always tune down with a ball valve? id rather do it overkill now while the tank is empty? any thoughts??

ah man im sorry for all of you trying to look at my painting haha okay so this is what i've come up so far added two extra cl outs removed the T's on all the cl so there is only 1 lock line and added two overflow holes for the hell of it. planning on something around 4500 gph come on if this was your tank what would you change?? keeping cost in mind of course

only use two outlets to the sump.. have one shorter on a GATE VALVE and the other taller
This will give you a "MAIN" and a emergency backup..
It will make your overflow silent. I have this setup and it is sooo quiet..

I run a Reeflo Hammerhead with 2" piping and 10 outlets on my 240 and to be honest I'm still considering adding a second Hammerhead to get my overall flow closer to 50x. A single dart on a 300 isn't even going to get you to 20x, so unless you're keeping mostly softies I would suggest going with something closer to the 5500-up range of pumps and add more outlets. Eight feet is a lot of distance to cover if you get your outlets spread too far out. I should also add that I use two Mag 9.5's for my sump returns and my totla flow is only about 26x.

Last edited:
You ready for a hair brain idea? reeflo Snapper pumps use about 100 watts of power. How about two Snappers on timers. That way a 2500 gph per side. The pros is less energy. The cons are you have more plumbing, requiring more space and more likely a issue if a pump has a problem.

all of this is in garage so space is kinda an issue but i do have more room than just under a the stand, with all this said i know im will end up haveing to add some powerheads maybe a vortec, but i would like to drill all the holes and not limit myself now.

okay so i went back and measured this tank is going in wall and will be mounted in the garage. soo after measureing the front 9 inches of the tank will be in wall i now its possable but im a little uneasy running pipes up the wall so the front two cl loops outs are prob not gonna be there any other ideas??? thanks guys for all the help im a little lost and really only want to do this once

okay so i went back and measured this tank is going in wall and will be mounted in the garage. soo after measureing the front 9 inches of the tank will be in wall i now its possable but im a little uneasy running pipes up the wall so the front two cl loops outs are prob not gonna be there any other ideas??? thanks guys for all the help im a little lost and really only want to do this once

a few Polarios.

Back