Pump for nano. AKA Low profile magnet driven external pump.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Impressive. I'd be curious to see a how too video.

Want a real challenge... come up with some that work with 1 1/4" acrylic...LOL My hearing is shot, so I don't worry about noise.

Impressive. I'd be curious to see a how too video.

Want a real challenge... come up with some that work with 1 1/4" acrylic...LOL My hearing is shot, so I don't worry about noise.
Haha, that would be quite easy then. Literally any motor would work, choose a brushless motor that can work under load which spins at ~2000rpm, and pick a couple diametrically poled >5 pound magnets and wha-la, you've got a working powerhead that pushes >2000gph and could work to probably 2" thick tank

If only sound isnt an issue... I guess to some the amount of sound I'm talking about here isnt too big of a deal. (the worst brushless motor spinning at 2000rpm pushing 1500gph will at most deal out 45db.... which is a loud computer fan)

look out Vortech! pretty cool build man!
Thanks Chichas! You wouldnt believe the amount of time put into such a small project. Its pretty comparable to my actual railgun/coilgun projects. Mainly due to the lack of planning on this project, haha!

Awesome, I'll check this out this evening. Any idea what gph it is giving you?
Thanks Rob! Definitely take a look later tonight or tomorrow morning when I get a video posted.

Now that you mention it, when this DIY pump is put next to my k-nano, I'd really have to say that it pushes a good 300-350gph at 90% power. It definitely moves more water than the k-nano at 240gph.

I'm currently running it at ~40% power just because with it, I get this turbulence zone right in the middle front of the tank which is perfect because a lot of my corals are placed front and center, which gives them very random water movement.

I'll post a how to thread sometime this week or next. I'll try to cover a wide range of things including... (1) nano tank [50-300gph], quiet. (2) Medium/Large tank [600-2000gph], quiet. (3) Medium/Large tank [600-2000gph] loud. This thread will take me some time though.

My next goal will be to make a 555 chip of some sorts to turn my powerhead on/off every 3 seconds or something along those lines.

Price rundown on finished non programmable, but controllable DIY exterior motor driven magnetic pump:

Motor: 5$ (Probably could get cheaper. Its 3$ online shipped)
Speed controller: 5$
Magnets: 7.50$ (Probably could get cheaper, ~4$ online shipped)
Prop: 4$
Prop shaft: 3$
12vdc power supply: 5$ (I got mine for free because I have so many old cell phones and one of them had a 12v @ 1A charger)

Cost using online vendors: 24$
Cost using local vendors: 30$

Back