Pump for Sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

scubajames

I just started using a Mag 24 for my sump return and I absolutly hate it it's extremly loud, even when suspended in the water so it's not viberation. So my question is does anyone know how to make it quieter of know of another
pump (1500-2400gph) that is quieter.

Thanks for your help

JP

I just started using a Mag 24 for my sump return and I absolutly hate it it's extremly loud, even when suspended in the water so it's not viberation. So my question is does anyone know how to make it quieter of know of another
pump (1500-2400gph) that is quieter.

Thanks for your help

JP

Ehiem is the only pump I'd buy.

Don

wow - I've had only good luck with the mags as far as being quite. I moved from the mag 7 to an external Iwaki pump and while I like it as far as power, aesthetics, and starting reliability, it is noisy as you know what.. not that it helps ya much, but if quite is what your after, I'd stay away from the external Iwaki's. That said, I'd totally buy one again if I had to because my sump is in the garage so I don't have to worry about noise.

I can't beleive your having loudness trouble even after suspending it in water. That doesn't seem to make much sense unless it's rubbing against something else to create the strong vibration noise. hmmm.. well good luck

Eheims are also great pumps - ditto to Don's recomendations. All around I just love 'em, but they are expensive. I guess like most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Is the pump plumbed with rigid or flexible tubing? Sometimes switching to spaflex (from rigid PVC) will make a huge difference.

Class clown - I agree with you the iwakis are great pumps I went from an external iwaki to the in sump Mag, due the the noise of the iwaki

Dnjan - it's a combination of both rigid and Spa flex

You might need a longer section of flex. I used too short a piece of flex on my skimmer pump, and it can be louder than my return pump.

Also, watch for the rigid touching the wall of your stand (or even the wall of your sump). Amazing how a thin, flat object will resonate!

I shoved my mag 24 in the closet within a week of use because it is SO loud. I really like my mag 18. It is not any louder than the sedra 5000 on my skimmer.

I have yet to see one a Ehiem with that much GPH. 1262 is only like 900 gallons max, I have yet to see one sized larger if there is one please link it would love to see one.

Not yet but they are comming out with a 1265 already out in europe. Even with the less flow I'd still go with the eheim especially for a return pump. Even if I had a huge 500 + g system that needed that much flow through the sump I'd go with 2 eheim's over a mag any day.

pumps ive tried for my return, dislikes / likes and where they ended up.
All in just over two years of wasting money

Mag 24 / very loud / stalled / Gave away
Mag 9 / very loud / use to mix salt
Iwaki 30 / very loud / Collecting dust
Iwaki 40 / very loud / Trash
pcx 40 / very loud / stalled / gave away
genx 8000?/ very loud / stalled / Trash
Amp master 2500 / leaked / collecting dust
Quiet One 4000 / stalled / trash
Quiet One 5000 / Loud / stalled / gave away
Eheim 1260 / silent / moved to chiller
Eheim 1262 / silent / still running

JMO
Don

The ehiem sounds pretty good for a return pump. ive got a 600 gph over flow, do you think the 1260 would be good enough or would I need the 1262?

Mag 24 / very loud / stalled / Gave away
Mag 9 / very loud / use to mix salt
Iwaki 30 / very loud / Collecting dust
Iwaki 40 / very loud / Trash
pcx 40 / very loud / stalled / gave away
genx 8000?/ very loud / stalled / Trash
Amp master 2500 / leaked / collecting dust
Quiet One 4000 / stalled / trash
Quiet One 5000 / Loud / stalled / gave away
Eheim 1260 / silent / moved to chiller
Eheim 1262 / silent / still running

JMO
Don

Ive seen the DIY projects you've done and every time I log in I get more respect for what you know. Its posts like these that make a person realize why everyone around this site takes so much stock in what you say. I will keep this list in mind when my return pump goes out.

The ehiem sounds pretty good for a return pump. ive got a 600 gph over flow, do you think the 1260 would be good enough or would I need the 1262?

I'm happy if I can turn my sump 10 times a hour. I could easily flow a few thousand gph but its just not needed IMO.:) I dont concider the return as part of flow.

Don

so if I have a 30gal sump on my 75gal tank w/ 600gph return, your saying all I really need is a return pump that does at least 300gph?

so if I have a 30gal sump on my 75gal tank w/ 600gph return, your saying all I really need is a return pump that does at least 300gph?

IMO that would work fine. But I would have somewhere around 7500 gph in closed loop in a 75 if it were mine.:)

Don

Hey Don, these Ehiem pumps are they very reliable hooked up with hard PVC externally?

I cant say first hand. Both of mine are internal but I would have to say yes just because Deltec and h&s both use them external. Ive never heard a complaint about Deltec pumps.

Don

One last question, heat? I may end up switching my centrifugal pump for something smaller & quieter, I don't need the flow until I add a chiller & I guess I could tee off that also even if I only had 200 gph from the sump to the main tank it wouldn't matter.

One last question, heat? I may end up switching my centrifugal pump for something smaller & quieter, I don't need the flow until I add a chiller & I guess I could tee off that also even if I only had 200 gph from the sump to the main tank it wouldn't matter.

I cant find my temp gun but by hand they feel about the same as my sedra 5000.

Don

Back