Pump for Sump

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Ahh, thanks Don, my sequence is a powerful pump & for what it does it is very quiet & efficient but I can reduce the 160w's to 80w's & still supply the main tank & a chiller, the only thing I see is they have barbed fittings, I really wanted to hard pvc them, maybe I'm missing something, also on the little Ehiem I had the impeller housing was like most magnetic type pumps & half turn you can remove the entire front cover I never felt safe with them but maybe these are made better when you go to the bigger size pumps.

I plan on getting a euroreef skimmer in my sump whose pump is rated @350 gph....does that mean that more than 350 gph going through my sump is overkill? or does it matter if I have more flow than that going through, that it doesnt all get skimmed --if that makes sense?:confused:

I plan on getting a euroreef skimmer in my sump whose pump is rated @350 gph....does that mean that more than 350 gph going through my sump is overkill? or does it matter if I have more flow than that going through, that it doesnt all get skimmed --if that makes sense?:confused:

Makes sense and long as you have the flow in the tank to get the detritus into the overflows.

Don

ok, I feel dumb for asking this but......If my overflow is rated @ 600gph and my return pump is only rated @300gph, wouldnt I have more water going into my sump than is going out...leading to the sump overflowing?

ok, I feel dumb for asking this but......If my overflow is rated @ 600gph and my return pump is only rated @300gph, wouldnt I have more water going into my sump than is going out...leading to the sump overflowing?

Nope. If your pump is rated for 300 at the head then you will only flow 300. 600 is the max size pump you can use, but I wouldnt push your luck.

Don

Thank you, you have helped me decide, im getting the eheim 1260 (instead of 1262) for return pump - under 600gph @ 4' head). I got couple ?'s about sea swirls but Ill save them for another time, as not to take advantage of you tonight :D

Don - any comments on the reliability/quietness of the sedra pump as compared with the others you listed? Many years ago I replaced the Rios that came with my system with SEN pumps (same as sedra, from what I understand), and since they have gone with the metal-jacketed impeller I have had no problems.

Don - any comments on the reliability/quietness of the sedra pump as compared with the others you listed? Many years ago I replaced the Rios that came with my system with SEN pumps (same as sedra, from what I understand), and since they have gone with the metal-jacketed impeller I have had no problems.

The only sedra I have is a 5000 nw on my skimmer. Its fairly quiet and has no problems so far. The room does get quieter when the pump get shut down, so its not silent. No complaints yet.:)

Don

Back