pump mounting

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

fatjusto

Just wondering on ideas for mounting my pumps in the cabinet to try and minimise noise(vibration). I was thinking of suspending the pumps and using flexible pipe at the pump interface to try and dissipate vibration.

what does everyone else do??

Just wondering on ideas for mounting my pumps in the cabinet to try and minimise noise(vibration). I was thinking of suspending the pumps and using flexible pipe at the pump interface to try and dissipate vibration.

what does everyone else do??

Which pumps are you using? I wouldnt hang them by the pipes.

Don

my mag 18 is sitting on the bottom of the sump with the rubber pad attached and is pretty quiet.

Finn put his (and mine) external pumps, sitting on a 1"+ thick dense foam rubber isolation pad. Works quite well. The PanWorld pump I got from him is much quieter than my Iwaki 40rlxt. The integral cooling fan is most of the noise.

Hey thanks for replies....

I wasnt planning on hanging the pumps by the plumbing but hanging a platform for them to sit on so there wouldnt be any vibration. I guess you have to use flexible piping as well.

Im going to use a neoprene mouse pad to sit them on hopefully that will be enough. The pumps are RK2 pumps which are pretty quiet anyways but if there sitting on something will rattle. Do yuou just bolt them down normally?

Rubber pads or foam pads work pretty well. The 2 Quiet one pumps I ran on my old tank came with rubber pads and it made a big difference. Good luck!:)

I mounted my external pumps by using several rubber washers on the bolts. I used foam pads on my submersible pumps.

My husband has ours hanging with bungie cords no vibration at all only the sound of the pump. It is only 1/2 inch off the stand floor. He has done this on two of our tanks so far three years with no problems!

It is hard plumbed in he has a shut off and union on each line at the pump. The bungie cords are hooked to two 3" pieces of chain like you hang a light fixture from. That is attached to the ceiling of the cabinet with a couple of eye hooks screwed into the wood with a carabiner to attach the chain to.
Good luck

Back