pump question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Tbremer

I am currently in the testing stage of my new 75 gallon reef ready tank with 30 gallon sump. I currently have a 55 gallon FOWLR but with a few mushrooms in it. I eventually want to turn the 75 into a reef tank. However during my test runs the return pump is louder than i would like. I am currently using a Pacific coast imports GEN-X 4100. I chose this pump because I am already utilizing a GEN X 1000 for my Hang on back protien skimmer which runs really quiet.

I would like suggestions on which pump you guys think I should use.
I am also considering upgrading from my HOB skimmer to an in sump skimmer any suggestions on this would be great

if cost is a factor a vertex skimmer has alot of rants and raves about it. never used one personally. as for the pump. what size is the bulk head it is coming off of. I am guessing it is a dry side pump?

My $.02, PanWorld 50PXX. Really well made pumps, and quiet. That is assuming you want an external pump. Submersible, I'd go with either a Mag12 or an Eheim 1262. You won't get quite the flow out of the Eheim, but they too are well made and quiet.
If price is less of an issue on the skimmer, you might look at-
http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merc...roduct_Code=CV-XP-2000&Category_Code=oct-cone
But I'm no skimmer expert; just speaking on what I've heard from others.

Last edited:
Back