Pump recommendation

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Pip Tazo

I am running a 55g display tank. Overflow pipe is 1" PVC. Any recommendations on the return pump?

What I've looked at so far:

EHEIM Compact 3000
- 393-793 GPH

EHEIM Compact 5000
- 660-1321 GPH

EHEIM 1262 Universal
- 900GPH

Are the outlets on the EHEIM Compacts a disadvantage since you have to use a Nylon tubing vs. PVC?

Alot of people say you want 10x the tank capacity turn over, so thats 550GPH . So I would probly run the Eheim 3000, if thats what your looking to buy. I have a 100gal tank and run the Eheim 1262 900GPH and I have a single 1" drain pipe and it works good. But you also need to think about what kind of corals your goingto have. SPS love flow.....and some corals don't.

It is fish only right now. I don't plan to add SPS to this system, I am not at that level yet.. haha. Maybe some easy soft corals (Zoas!). The pump's primary job would be moving water from the sump/filtration area back to the display.

Are the other 2 pumps overkill for this system?

A 1" drain probly would have a hard time keeping up with 1200GPH. And 900 GPH may be to much , but it's hard to say. Some people runn way more than 10x turn over and some way less. Others may chime in here with there thoughts also.

You may find someone on here thats got a pump you could borrow to see how much flow you like.

Alot of people say you want 10x the tank capacity turn over, so thats 550GPH . So I would probly run the Eheim 3000, if thats what your looking to buy. I have a 100gal tank and run the Eheim 1262 900GPH and I have a single 1" drain pipe and it works good. But you also need to think about what kind of corals your goingto have. SPS love flow.....and some corals don't.

Other people say 3x to 5x the tank volume lol

So with a 100 gph or so head loss, which is just guess, I would look into a pump that has around 400 gallon per hour at 0'
IMO it's better to create flow with other means than the return pump.

Any experience on the rate adjustability of the EHEIM Compact 5000? it says it can go from 660PGH to 1321 GPH.

This is appealing because if (when) I expand, the pump would still be adequate for a bigger system.

Last edited:
I'm running a Eheim 1262 on my 58. It has the same overflow size as you are talking about. It's a decent amount of flow through the sump.

can i safely use a ball or gate valve to adjust the output of this pump without damaging it?

My last 55G I had setup with a PF-300 Eshopps hang on overflow had a Mag7 return pump. It turned out to by a little too much for the single overflow so I installed a T-fitting just off of the return pump to recirc the water back to the beginning of the sump by means of a ball valve. While this works fine it does warm up the water a little.

Back