Question on flow, please help.

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

OK, so I am still looking for a simple definitive answer. Which arrangement provides more equal flow to all outlets. In my mind the arrangement in the top image is going to have greatly reduced flow at outlets A and D. The pump driving it is a Dolphin AmpMaster 3000/4000 with 2" plumbing on intake and output all the way to the manifold/loop. This will be supplemental flow in my 15 gallon with additional flow provided by return pump 1200 GPH split thru 2 loclines and 2 Tunze 6105's on a controller at opposite ends of tank.
plumb_zps3f477df9.jpg

So, let's say your pump without hindrance will put out 4000gph and 3/4" Loc-line I believe! will do approximately 850 gph without nozzle or flair you would need some kind of valves to equal out bottom design. Restricted below actual output either should balance. Hard to type on my lil phone keys, sorry so hope that this makes sense.

Cheers t Todd

Hey Spinner, how do you like your Blowholes? I was going to go with a Blowhole 1450 for my return but am now leaning towards a Waveline DC5000 or, if i can wait till April a Diablo DC5500. I love the color on all your plumbing, but there is one thing i am curious about. Why the Mace?

I have not seen mine run yet but have read lots of good things about them, quite, powerful, run cool. The Diablo should be a nice pump also and both are backed by a great customer service.
My name is Mace but most people think it is Tattoo from my acting days on Fantasy Island:) 0 the pads are from when my ex and i owned a couple of Yoga Studio's back in the day.
No i am not dead when you get my age the smells we give off sometimes make people think we are...lol

Last edited:
I have not seen mine run yet but have read lots of good things about them, quite, powerful, run cool. The Diablo should be a nice pump also and both are backed by a great customer service.
My name is Mace but most people think it is Tattoo from my acting days on Fantasy Island:) 0 the pads are from when my ex and i owned a couple of Yoga Studio's back in the day.
No i am not dead when you get my age the smells we give off sometimes make people think we are...lol
Those of us that even remember Fantasy Island have to be old! LOL

My friends call me Mace:)
Another option for flow is to use another form of close loop where you use one bulkhead plumbed so it works as both inlet and outlet. It works well using smaller pumps and less plumbing where hobbiest doesn't have alot of room in cabinet/stand.
Closed-loop-corte_zps32904970.jpg

IMG_3172_zps3aa7c351.jpg

This would be a nice way to plumb when using DC 6 speed pumps

Not to openly disagree with my man Peppie but, in actuality the ones closer to the end will have the greatest pressure. The only way to have them equal is to make a pressure-balance loop. If you go from 2" to a 2x1x1 T-fitting so to form a 1" pressure balanced loop with 3/4" outlets to Loc-Line. I spent many years as a Proffessional Designer specializing in High-End Shower systems.

Cheers, Todd

I have no idea what you all are talking about, but you misspelled professional. Just thought I would point that out, it's the only thing I could throw in. It looks like a new flute from Zanfir, the flute player.

Not sure what "all that plumbing" you are referring to, the only thing in view will be a piece of black 2 inch pipe which will blend perfectly with the black background. The clutter of unsightly stuff in your tank is exactly why I DONT want to use powerheads. All those electrical cords and pumps taking up room.. if you go Vortech then you have a big motor on the outside of your glass with an attached electrical cord. If you go Tunze or Hydor you have not only a largish pump in the tank but the power cord as well. 1 piece of unobtrusive black pipe on the back wall behind the rock work is much less unsightly. I have a tank to look at my corals and fish, not to look at a bunch of power cords and pumps.
just my 2 cents

i assume you must be speaking of reef tanks in general,
you dont see a single cord or powerhead in my reef... as you infer... lol
and theres no reason you couldnt do the same.
but hey go for the closed loop manifold, if it makes you happy.
do as thou wilst.

OK, for anyone that cares, or for the sake of someone down the road, I have the answer. I set this up on my back porch and tested both methods. Test parameters:
Source water was a 55 gallon drum. Pump was a Reeflo Hammer at 6000 GPH. 1 1/2" intake and outlet on pump.
Test 1 . (Bottom Pic) The 1.5" output went to a manifold with 6 ports. The manifold had 1" outlets which were bushed down to 3/4. 2 feet of 3/4" pipe came from each outlet and terminated in a 90 pointing down into a 5 gallon bucket. Applied power, all 6 buckets filled at same rate.

Test 2. (Top Pic) The 1.5" output went to a 1.5" tee. The tee was bushed down to 3/4" A loop of 3/4" pipe was made similar to pic with tees at each output spigot pointing down into 5 gallon buckets. Outlets A and D filled 5 gallon buckets to top. Outlets B and E filled about 4.2 gallons. Outlets C and F filled the buckets 3.6 gallons. Conclusion, in a circuit the outputs further from the source have the most flow. For the record, Todd was correct.

This test was not scientific and exact, it was just a fun casual attempt at finding an answer, your results may vary.

OK, so I am still looking for a simple definitive answer. Which arrangement provides more equal flow to all outlets. In my mind the arrangement in the top image is going to have greatly reduced flow at outlets A and D. The pump driving it is a Dolphin AmpMaster 3000/4000 with 2" plumbing on intake and output all the way to the manifold/loop. This will be supplemental flow in my 15 gallon with additional flow provided by return pump 1200 GPH split thru 2 loclines and 2 Tunze 6105's on a controller at opposite ends of tank.

plumb_zps3f477df9.jpg

Last edited:
That is great that you took the time and energy to do this test. How long did the pump run before you had to pull the plug?
Witch way are you going to run on your CL?

Todd wouldnt steer anybody down the wrong path. Now if we could just get him to show us what type of flies he ties!!!

30 seconds or so emptied the drum and filled the buckets. Pump is serious business lol.
My CL is plumbed into a T that reduces down to two 3/4 runs, each with 3 outlets. Works awesome.
Water cloudy, going to drain and refill before adding salt.
021_zps09b488d5.jpg

022_zpsc7e70a9e.jpg

OK, for anyone that cares, or for the sake of someone down the road, I have the answer. I set this up on my back porch and tested both methods. Test parameters:
Source water was a 55 gallon drum. Pump was a Reeflo Hammer at 6000 GPH. 1 1/2" intake and outlet on pump.
Test 1 . (Bottom Pic) The 1.5" output went to a manifold with 6 ports. The manifold had 1" outlets which were bushed down to 3/4. 2 feet of 3/4" pipe came from each outlet and terminated in a 90 pointing down into a 5 gallon bucket. Applied power, all 6 buckets filled at same rate.

Test 2. (Top Pic) The 1.5" output went to a 1.5" tee. The tee was bushed down to 3/4" A loop of 3/4" pipe was made similar to pic with tees at each output spigot pointing down into 5 gallon buckets. Outlets A and D filled 5 gallon buckets to top. Outlets B and E filled about 4.2 gallons. Outlets C and F filled the buckets 3.6 gallons. Conclusion, in a circuit the outputs further from the source have the most flow. For the record, Todd was correct.

This test was not scientific and exact, it was just a fun casual attempt at finding an answer, your results may vary.
Out of curiosity - did it take the same amount of time to fill the buckets in Test 1 as it did to fill buckets A and D in test 2?

i think this is overly complicated and 2 tunze's and one return Is eazy'est and more failsafe

just my thought

Back