Pumps pumps everywhere....

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

akunochi

Mr. Reckless
The 180 build continues....I have the parts on order for my lighting....for the most part and now turn to the question of pumps....

Tell me if this is overkill but I want good flow while hopefully not having to use Koralias.

2 reeflo barracuda pumps.

1 hooked up the the closed loop system mounted on the inside top of the stand just below the aquarium.

1 used as a return on the sump.

if you can afford the $$$ i would make the pumps move more water and more water in different areas by getting an ocean motion (they make the ones that are powered and smaller underpowered ones that go in the tank)
and enductor/penductor things on the ends so they move more water...
you could also hid pump behind rocks pretty easy if you set it up dry or at least part of it dry. you can even use a mag pump behind the rocks and a hose/pipe that take the water under the sand and let the water out so it hits the front glass or where ever. you could even put some rocks near the output to hid the pipe...
I couldn't tell you about the pumps, but one of my friends did that with his 4.5'x3'x3' and it was great. he even had a header tank and part of the flow came from gravity from that...

thanks for the reply. I can see how that would create good flo, but i am really trying to minimize equipment in the tank. Its an all acrylic tank so i plan to run closed loop.

How big is the drain in your overflow? How big is your sump? Unless you have a very large bulkhead in your overflow and a fairly large sump, the barracuda as a return is way too big for a 180. The whole purpose of the sump is to remove the equipment required to heat and filter the water fomr the display tank The water has to stay in there long enough for that to happen. The barracuda will run the water through the sump at 25x the display, way too fast. IMO a pump rated for closer to 1500GPH (or 5-10X the display) is far better suited for that purpose.

Back