Pumps

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Salty D-O-G

Altho it would be nice have a seperate insulated pump room I don't have that option. I have an Oceanic 175 Bow Front with the twin overflows. The problem is noise. I have an All Glass type 4 sump/refregium with 2 Danner Mag Pump 2400's and one 1200. The 1200 is quiet as a mouse but those 2400's are crazy loud. I mounted them externally so I can cram more stuff into the sump. As a Vibration shield I used one of those gel wrist pads which works great buy the way. I'm not opposed to buying high end pumps but because it's in the same room it needs to be quiet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jerry

So are you asking about external Pumps? Or you asking about Submersible types?

External Pumps : Reeflo snapper 2500GPH very quiet and very good on power. Also the Reeflo UNO marlin is also a good pump rated 2000 GPH also very quiet.

Submersibles: you only have a few alterantives MAG, Sedra, Quiet one and Ocean runner. The GPH rating is the key. Iam waiting for Eheim to come with a bigger pump.

I wanna know #1 How fatst you want the flow to go max and I assume about 4' of head and #2 Is it external or internal !

Salty D-O-G said:
Altho it would be nice have a seperate insulated pump room I don't have that option. I have an Oceanic 175 Bow Front with the twin overflows. The problem is noise. I have an All Glass type 4 sump/refregium with 2 Danner Mag Pump 2400's and one 1200. The 1200 is quiet as a mouse but those 2400's are crazy loud. I mounted them externally so I can cram more stuff into the sump. As a Vibration shield I used one of those gel wrist pads which works great buy the way. I'm not opposed to buying high end pumps but because it's in the same room it needs to be quiet. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Jerry

Are you sure you want that much flow going through your sump? I've heard of using a Mag 7 or Mag 9 as a return pump but not 24's. I'm going to use a Mag 9 for my return. I'm going to hook up a Mag 18 onto a closed loop system; whereby, none of that flow goes through my sump. I'm amazed that your twin overflows can keep up with twin Mag 24's and one Mag 12.

Best of luck!

Back