Pumps?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

ELMATATAN

Someone can tell me for a 120 gallon tank pump should I use and if anyone here in the forum have one available? I am currently using a Gen X PCX-40 to 1190 gallons but I'm not convinced that the right thing in my tank

According to Skimmerwhisper your return pump should be about 3-4 times the rating of your skimmer.

If you have a 120 gallon tank and 30 gallon tank total volume equals 150 gallons.
You buy a skimmer that is rated at 150 gallons
You need to buy a return pump at or around 450 to 600 after head pressure.

A return pump should nto be used for flow unless you get a pressure rated pump and use flow increasers

Thanks Krish75 and SpecialTang, well I want to use this pump to send water from the sump to the tank my tank heve 2 overflow and wach overflow has two outlets

I would look for a pump that will deliver to the tank 3x to 5x the tank volume. In the 360 to 600 gph range.

Is your Gen X PCX-40 noisy as well? I got mine used, so I'm not sure if it was worn out or not.

Is your Gen X PCX-40 noisy as well? I got mine used, so I'm not sure if it was worn out or not.

Grassi,
You might want to change the ball bearings. It would help reduced the noise. In addition, the water level from the sump can contribute to that noise as well. High water level can reduce the noise.

As for original post, you have 2 options: #1 get a bigger sump. and/or put a valve in each overflow to adjust the rate.

Hope that helps.
Thang

Back