PUR faucet filter

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

warforged

MMORPG Addict!
I was wondering about the PUR water filter on sinks. I tried searching for info here and google.

There was no data on Phosphate,Nitrites, or nitrates when I checked the official site.

If I had to top off water, would using one of those Pur filters reduce those elements?

I know its not as good as reverse osmosis. I just wanted to know if anyone had any info on those type of water filters and can they be last resort for top off water.

Here is the fact sheet from Pur site:
http://www.purwaterfilter.com/faucmounsysn.html

Last edited:
I posted about this in another thread, but one of my roomates bought a PUR filter so wed have to buy less bottled water. So I busted out the trusty TDS meter, and the results were:
Tapp water - 32 tds
PUR filter - 29 TDS

It doesn't do much of anything unfortunetly. By comparrison, my RO/DI with 3 year old filters still prodced 0tds water.

I posted about this in another thread, but one of my roomates bought a PUR filter so wed have to buy less bottled water. So I busted out the trusty TDS meter, and the results were:
Tapp water - 32 tds
PUR filter - 29 TDS

It doesn't do much of anything unfortunetly. By comparrison, my RO/DI with 3 year old filters still prodced 0tds water.

I see . Thanks for the information... Looks like ill be forced to visit the local grocer and fill up my 5 gallon with there Ro/DI... 40c a gallon i can't really complain.

I wish I could measure what comes out of my tap water.. just to know.

You people up in Washington make me sick :D

Our TDS out of our tap is usually 350 and it's loaded with Phosphates and Nitrates

I'm lucky, Nikki's (NaH2O) water if left unsoftened is like 450

I would suggest you check the archives for potential "grocery water" issues..... as it is really meant for drinking, they may not change out their filter/RO/whatever as often as YOU would really need. You may be better off checking one of the water-to-go places, and ask for an assay or TDS read on what they are selling.

Decent RO/DI units may be had for a pretty reasonable price and will last for many, many gallons. You can frequently find them here on the classifieds if you watch. Rgds, D

You people up in Washington make me sick :D

Our TDS out of our tap is usually 350 and it's loaded with Phosphates and Nitrates

I'm lucky, Nikki's (NaH2O) water if left unsoftened is like 450

Well you guys in the midwest have all those soybean and corn farms...all kinds of things introduced to your water table... I also recall they still use wells at many homes and high lime deposits in the water there.

yah us Washingtonians (west side of mountains)are blessed with strict water regulations..."due to salmon" they are very very cautious on water going back into our environment. Im sure that has a lot to do with the strictness of it all.

I have been using the grocery store water for well over a year. (living in rental places) I haven't had any real problems. I did get 4 gals of water once that was rancid... smelled like a wet towel that had been sitting in the sink for a couple of weeks. I dumped that down the drain when I got home and went back to the store... told the manager and the next day got a phone call from the store to tell me that they fixed the problem... that and having to carry the water up and down stairs.. the only things that have gone wrong.

The fens (Suffolk, UK) has some of the worst water too. It isn't just the mid-west. It was often 390 there, and it tasted "funny." One could leave it in a glass and the next day there would be a ring on the glass where the water line was. It would take my 3 pod 75 GDP RO unit 12-14 hours to make 25l in the summer and near 24 hours in the "winter."
we had to change the sediment filters every 6mo and carbon every 12 mo (or the other way around, I bought my RO unit used...)

Back