Purchased items - Inform on how to use - and FEEDBACK on item

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

aaron23

Hi guys, i just recently purchased some things really cheap i guess thats the only reason why i bought them. I have these three little boxes of weird glass tubes from aquaconnect. They are called BactoFood, BactoClean, and OmegaVit.
They are in some type of glass tubes and im wondering if they are good and how to use them.

Here are the pics of what i purchased.

ac-bactoclean.jpg

ac-bactofood.jpg

ac-omegavit.jpg

More info on this product would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all for your time.
Aaron.

Aaron,

As for how you would use them, I have no idea. But I do have a partial translation of what they are for you.

BactoClean - bioactive bacteria for meerwasser (Kalkwasser???) 20 billion bacteria per ampule

BactoFood - special carbon-pours & trace elements for bacteria metabolism

Omega Vit - Food additive for low animal omega-3 fat, with Karotine & Vitamines

How IF I would use it myself... doubtful, but hopefully a little POOR translation will at least help you know what you have.

I'm German. Here's the translation, guys:
1. Bioactive bacteria for salt water. 20 Billion bacteria per ampule. According to internet sources, these bacteria were collected from brackish water.
2. Special carbon source and trace elements for bacteria metabolism. According to German internet sources, these carbon sources are meant so sustain the '20 billion bacteria'...
3. Food additive for lower animals. Omega 3 fatty acids and marine typical fatty acids. Carotenoids and vitamins. I found out from other sources that this is a concentrate designed to enrich food for corals. In addition, they say that it also acts as a food source for various microfaunas.
I found some German reefers who used this stuff and had some positive results with it. You may check at
http://www.detlefs-miniriff.de/Jens.htm
http://www.miniriff.de/bactoclean/bactoclean.htm
Some guys I know from some German forums had some limited success with this stuff. One guy had his phosphate drop from 1 mg/L to 0.03 mg/L within one year. There was hardly any effect on nitrates, though. It may also be that his phosphate dropped due to maturation of his tank.
In my opinion, that money would have been better spent buying salt and doing more frequent water changes or buy a larger fuge/better skimmer/more rock...

thank you so much charlyclown but how do you use them? break the glass tube? thanks dude
Aaron.

Ok, from what I found out from the sources is that:
BactoClean and BactoFood: one ampule each for about 260 gallons every 2 weeks
OmegaVit: One ampule every week.
I did not use any of these products, but that look like easy opening ampules, meaning you hold the ampule in one hand and the neck of the ampule with the other hand and snap open. I would hold an alcohol swab or a piece of cloth around the neck of the ampule just to make sure you don't cut yourself. If you're scared, just grab a thicker pen, unscrew it, empty it, and place it over the neck of the ampule and snap open. That way, there's no risk for cuts.

that is really weird.... thank you so much charlyclown i so appreciate it =]

Back