Purple Frilly Rhino Scorpion Fish

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mss

Hi Lee:
I very recently purchased a Purple (not very purple yet) frilly rhino fish and was wondering if you could direct me to some good articles on keeping these fish. The fish I have is very small, maybe a couple of inches total.

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm169/schackmel/?action=view&current=102_1547.jpg

http://s296.photobucket.com/albums/mm169/schackmel/?action=view&current=102_1549.jpg

I have researched somewhat on the requirements of keeping rhino's but honestly I have not been able to find a whole lot of info available. I am aware that they are venomous, are for advanced aquariast, require species only tanks, and can grow fairly big.

He is in his own tank, is eating very well so far...currently feeding him glass shrimps that have been gut-loaded with HUFA's and am hoping to eventually switch him over to frozen food.

Thank you for any info that you can provide
(or anybody else also)

I'd say you have gathered up about as much I know about this particular fish. I have never kept one before. I have only gathered some information from others. I can add only one thing to what you've listed:

In general one of the challenges is that they become 'bored' (for the lack of a better word) with their diet and/or captive life, then stop eating and die. It still isn't understood completely why these fish do this. Some say it is getting into a rut with the diet; others claim it doesn't matter. :confused:

I'd also gut-load foods with a broader range of vitamins, if you can. Train to eat dead whole marine foods, then you can just inject with a small bit of liquid vitamin.

I'd say you have gathered up about as much I know about this particular fish. I have never kept one before. I have only gathered some information from others. I can add only one thing to what you've listed:

In general one of the challenges is that they become 'bored' (for the lack of a better word) with their diet and/or captive life, then stop eating and die. It still isn't understood completely why these fish do this. Some say it is getting into a rut with the diet; others claim it doesn't matter. :confused:

I'd also gut-load foods with a broader range of vitamins, if you can. Train to eat dead whole marine foods, then you can just inject with a small bit of liquid vitamin.

thank you for your reply!
He cracks me up right now when he eats...he is much more interesting then anglers when it comes to meal time! He does this little dance back and forth, and then wiggles and gulps the food in!

I am having a hard time knowing "how much is enough food for him" as I know anglers can eat themself to death and like I said his appetite is amazing! He is a little more active then anglers, but only when it comes to feeding time.

I will post more pictures as he grows! Thanks again

That is not a Rhinopias. That is an ambon scorpion. As far as it turning purple, that is unlikely. Usually the bright Rhinopias and scorpions you see become dull in captivity to match there surrondings. I have never heard of a fish becoming bored and don't know if it is biologically they can tell if they are bored. Anyway from those who i have spoke to who have kept the over two years they say, feed at most twice a week. The are sedintary and only eat only when they get lucky enough to have a prey item pass their nose. They are amazing fish to watch and study. I just hope you didn't pay Rhinopias prices for your ambon scorpion. Tim

actually I got a great deal on it....it is a cool looking fish whatever it is!

That is not a Rhinopias. That is an ambon scorpion. As far as it turning purple, that is unlikely. Usually the bright Rhinopias and scorpions you see become dull in captivity to match there surrondings. I have never heard of a fish becoming bored and don't know if it is biologically they can tell if they are bored. Anyway from those who i have spoke to who have kept the over two years they say, feed at most twice a week. The are sedintary and only eat only when they get lucky enough to have a prey item pass their nose. They are amazing fish to watch and study. I just hope you didn't pay Rhinopias prices for your ambon scorpion. Tim

I have found some pics of ambon scorpions and I agree it def looks like that! Any other advice for him. This fish has EVEN less info available then the rhino. I have only found that 1. it is THE MOST DANGEROUS of the fish??? could not find anything to back it up...I have been stung by lion..dont plan on repeating that experience and that 2. "luckily this fish never makes it into the hobby"

Talk about a rare lionfish... this is the Ambon lionfish, a furry lion which utilizes its "fur' to hide amongst the plant life. Fortunately, this rare lion never makes it into the hobby. Photo courtesy of Jeff Rosenfeld of The Vibrant Sea. http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-11/fm/feature/index.php

and other than pics that is it!

Doesnt make me feel very confident in my selection!

That fish is best left in the ocean. It really isn't 'suitable' for the home hobby because of its danger factor. Like most of their cousins, they are fairly hardy and relatively easy to keep.

That fish is best left in the ocean. It really isn't 'suitable' for the home hobby because of its danger factor. Like most of their cousins, they are fairly hardy and relatively easy to keep.

this is a case where I have something that I misidentified, and the store misidentified it...I thought I was getting a rhino! I would have never purchased it if I had known it was one that was best kept in the ocean....everything I have found said that this fish is not collected in the hobby!!!

I did find something about the danger factor, however I was not able to open it up to find anything else on it. And I have not been able to find anything else on the web about the fish other then pictures.....so what exactly is so dangerous.....I know they are venomous, but is this fish unlike the other scorpions where it is actually deadly venomous or is it just painful venomous. I know if you are allergic to it, all scorpions can be deadly venomous, but majority of times it is just very painful (as I learned from my lion!) Because unfortunately I do have this fish now and I need to know exactly what it is I am dealing with! I will be the only one that is around this fish, so that is good.....but a little concerned now about the danger factor!

As far as I have been informed, this particular fish's poison is lethal to children and old adults. It's a fish that 'knows' it has an excellent defense and will use it. I'm unsure about the accuracy of what I've been told. There is a chance that someone was harmed in its collection and handling.

I understand about mis-labeling. You must never put your hands or arms into the aquarium (which shouldn't be done, anyway). Forget about hand feeding and present food on a long stick. Like eating with the :evil: you need to use a long spoon. :D

As far as I have been informed, this particular fish's poison is lethal to children and old adults. It's a fish that 'knows' it has an excellent defense and will use it. I'm unsure about the accuracy of what I've been told. There is a chance that someone was harmed in its collection and handling.

I understand about mis-labeling. You must never put your hands or arms into the aquarium (which shouldn't be done, anyway). Forget about hand feeding and present food on a long stick. Like eating with the :evil: you need to use a long spoon. :D

cool.....I have been trying to feed with a feeding stick..He is not the least bit intersted yet but I am going to keep after him. I have a bigger tank that I will be transferring him to when he gets a little bit bigger, but I will be sure to wear those thick coralife gloves...and luckily I am not too young or too old :badgrin: but still the same dont want to get stung...ouch!

thanks again everyone for your responses!!! I have to admit that I am excited that I have such a cool looking fish....but I am mad that I have a fish that should have never been removed from the ocean to begin with and that is so rare! I know that I will do my best to ensure that he gets what he needs for survival, but like you and everything else I read...he should have been left where he was:(

Like most sedentary ambush predators, you have to be careful to not overfeed them. Getting them trained to frozen is great, but you may have to offer live foods for awhile (or forever, some fish don't seem to ever become interested in frozen). It is probably poisonous (a lot of scorpaenids are), but I doubt it's THE most poisonous... I assume that title currently belongs to a stonefish or something. Nonetheless, you obviously still wouldn't want to get stung or risk the chance of it.

I'm guessing it's not that rare either, but perhaps just rare in the hobby and rarely seen by divers (though there are quite a few pictures of it online taken by divers) because of its excellent camouflage. A lot of the indo-australian frogfishes are the same way - they're certainly out there, but are hardly ever seen.

I actually read yesterday in a book about what is the MOST venomous fish in the world...a little trivia in case this ever comes up at the next trivia night....
Synaceia Verrucosa...Reef Stonefish!

I know we've talked alittle about using the long cleaning gloves for tank maintanence. So my question is are they thick enough to NOT get stung through?

I dont know how much you paid for your fish, but if you have kids it may be a safe consideration to donate it to the aquarium.

I know we've talked alittle about using the long cleaning gloves for tank maintanence. So my question is are they thick enough to NOT get stung through?

I dont know how much you paid for your fish, but if you have kids it may be a safe consideration to donate it to the aquarium.

I've been stung by a long-spined (Diadema sp.) urchin through these gloves to I would assume an aggressive scorpionfish could get through them too if it was so inclined. However, I've found that even with dangerous animals, once you become the "bringer of food", they become quite safe. In fact, many puffers and lionfish become like puppy dogs. I've handfed many sharks and even swam with them.

Back