Purple People Eaters

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

zissou

I have some real PPE's that are doing pretty good in my tank. I got them as a small frag with 3 polyps and they seem to be happy, but have not yet added addition poylps.

Since these are pretty rare and well known I was hoping we could get anyone who owns some to share any info they have on lighting, flow or other placment information on their PPEs.

Mine are at the bottom corner of a standard 40 gallon tank under (maybe 24 inches below) 1 250W 10K MH. They are in a medium flow area. Polyps are extended nicely but I have not seen any growth yet, little over a month. I have feed them a few times with small pieces of shirmp and they seem to enjoy that.

So anyone else have any success or failure info you would like to share.

You should keep them on or near the bottom. When they get too much light they tend to get white spots, or speckling. They do well in moderate flow.
They are slow growers. When they are in your own tank, 1 polyp per month seems to be be average, but when you send a frag to someones else's tank, that rate seems to go up a little for a while.
Got any pictures?

Been working on some pictures, hopefully I can get something decent up soon. Thanks for your input.

Anyone else with PPE's out there?

I just got two polyps at a frag auction. I have them on the sandbed. The person I bought them from said they will eat mysis shrimp. I wonder if I start feeding them mysis if it will greatly increase their rate of growth.

Chris

feeding the ppe

I have heard the same, althought I have not tried feeding mine.

As an update my 3 polyp frag is still the same size although the poylps themselves have grown. They are in a Zoo only tank that has many other zoos growing rapidily....like weeds:D I'm hoping they reach a point where the colony starts to add new polyps soon. Regardless of growth it a very nice little colony and the color contrast has gotten amazing, it took about 2 weeks for them to fully settle in...maybe due to the higher nutrient load in my water.

Here's a pic of mine I just got. It doesn't seem to be doing well right now. Only had for 4 days.
062806119small0vv.jpg

The skirt is starting to shrivel in places. Should I dip? It's on the bottom of my tank right now.

Chris

I have had GREAT success with feeding Mysis. I target feed (thawed & rinsed) mysis, live brine, and coral frenzy for about a month now and I have gone from 2 polps to 3 adult polyps & 5 babies

I do this with all palys and the growth has been tremendous.

Here are my PPE's

DSC04187.jpg

DSC04265.jpg

I have noticed some white on the rock that mine came on. Anyone know if this is some form of fungus?

Also, mine had lots of white on the actual polyps but I clean them almost every day with a turkey baster and also use garlic x-treme once or twice a week with the left over mysys water my chromis enjoy.

Debbie

Thanks aquarookie.

Heres the trick...

I don't do propagation, BUT, once the polyps leave the frag and adhere to the live rock, I will remove a few polyps of each for propagating/sale.

kurbs, you have some gorgeous zoas (I am assuming they are yours). Want to sell any? :)

Back