• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Reef Frontiers and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Purple Tang Sale!!

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

barrierreefcf

Sponsor
-Purple Tang Special-

We are finally confirmed for a box lot of Purple Tangs from the Red Sea. They are arriving Friday morning. These are normally $149.99 but will on sale for $99.99!

I really like purple tangs....can i put one in my 280 with a sailfin tang, naso tank, both about 4 " and two small hippo tangs about 2". They all get along fine.
The naso and sailfin are buds, always swimming together.

Mixing Tangs is always hit or miss. Usually, any initial aggression works itself out, but not always. My biggest concern is how your Sailfin will take to a newer Purple. There is no way to know for sure. It would have been best to add them at the same time. If you try, feed your tank really well a few hours before you start acclimating the new Tang. Then shut the lights off and start acclimating the new fish outside the tank. Leave the lights off until the following morning. The idea being that the other fish will retire to their resting zones and the Purple will have one night to peacefully adapt to your water chemistry and its new surroundings. Then, if the Sailfin does feel the need to prove its dominant position, at least the Purple has had a little time to settle in before enduring further stress. Hopefully, the Sailfin doesn't bat an eye, but its anybodys guess??!!??

Do you guys still have the Purple tang in the front display? How is he doing? Does he seem to mind the smaller tank?

Yes he's still in there. He's probably not the happiest fish and hasn't grown at all. I would not suggest it:( If I remember the story correct, someone saw him looking really bad at another store. They felt like "saving" it, bought it, and brought it to us. Of course they wanted us to reimburse them for it?? Cough cough...thanks for thinking of us. We love buying sick fish from other retail stores:confused: He had Ich and our quarantine tank was full. Rather than put it in the main system he landed in the Elos. Cured him but until we have to tear that tank down he's stuck.

Mixing Tangs is always hit or miss. Usually, any initial aggression works itself out, but not always. My biggest concern is how your Sailfin will take to a newer Purple. There is no way to know for sure. It would have been best to add them at the same time. If you try, feed your tank really well a few hours before you start acclimating the new Tang. Then shut the lights off and start acclimating the new fish outside the tank. Leave the lights off until the following morning. The idea being that the other fish will retire to their resting zones and the Purple will have one night to peacefully adapt to your water chemistry and its new surroundings. Then, if the Sailfin does feel the need to prove its dominant position, at least the Purple has had a little time to settle in before enduring further stress. Hopefully, the Sailfin doesn't bat an eye, but its anybodys guess??!!??

I had a pretty aggressive sailfin and it really helped to do a re-aquascape right when adding another tang, I did this when I added a yellow tang and the sailfin was so upset about the change he did not even really notice the new fish in the tank:lol: This seems to take away the territorial behavior as it is all "new" territory.

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. Not quite ready to try a purple, but i thought the purple would be the aggressor. I thought it was better to add a purple last... My sailfin doesn't really bother anybody, he may bow up a little during feeding to the small hippos... I added a Naso tang last week, and you would think the two of them or best friends, Eat Nori off the clip at the same time...and always together...
So if/when I try and add a purple, would you recommend adding one about the same size as the sailfin, slightly smaller, or slightly larger. Wish I lived closer. That is a GREAT price for a Purple Tang.

Yes the Purple Tang is usually the more aggressive of the two but if the Sailfin has too much time to make the tank "his" he may bully the Purple when added. Kris has a great suggestion...move a few rocks around. There's different ways to look at choosing a size for your Purple but I would get one slightly smaller than your Sailfin.

Picked me up a Purple Tang today. They are very nice looking. This guy is going to be the king of my tank.

PurpleTang.jpg

Yeah, it was cool to watch them interact. There was a group of 4 in the middle of the tank that were trying to see who was top dawg. I chose one of those since I have a feisty flame angel that needs to be put in his place. From the second I put him in the tank hes been swimming around and picking at rocks. Glad you guys had them on such a good deal. And they were all nice looking too.

Thank you a bunch for having the sale! I wouldn't have been able to have a pair otherwise. My sailfin tang has no problems with the purples and does not bother them at all. My Dad said his powder blue will get after the yellow and purple tangs he bought if they swim too close but otherwise are fine.

IMG00517-20100514-2328.jpg

Back