Purple Tang with mild HLLE

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Herefishyfishy

Smart Bass
Lee and others, I just bought a small adult purple tang with early signs of HLLE. No erosion on the head, but the lateral line has a very thin line eroded. Spent years in a tank not really suited to tangs nor properly fed. (Only formula 1)

The question: If I it now gets fed well with the rest of the tangs on a high veggie diet and good sources of nutrients and proteins plus some chemi-pure and other vits, will it heal? I am aware that it will stop getting worse, but is there any evidence of reversal of the condition with proper feeding in a good tank?

You're on track. Per Steven's article, know that there are several things to consider, other than nutrition.

Well people, only 10 days later, the lateral line has almost fully filled back in. PT (purple Tang:)) is eating like a pig and a very aggressive swimmer. Formula 2 Green flakes soaked in vita-chem and selcon, Nori, Broccoli, some mexicana caulerpa, chopped seafood mix, and good water. That and thinking kind thoughts to it:lol: Will post a picture later.

As for those who say mixed tangs can't work, have a Purple, Yellow, Hippo, and Dejardini in the same reef and they all get along great. Only time they get impatient with each other is when they are cranky from hunger. Just like me:rolleyes:

What size tank do you have? I have a purple tang that I bought a week ago and I recently added a foxface, but the tang seems to be too aggressive. My foxface does not come out of hiding and he has not eaten sine I got him. (that's about three days now). Do you have any suggestions on this. I have a 55 gallon tank.

Do you have any suggestions on this. I have a 55 gallon tank.

Yeah, get a bigger tank. Sorry, but tangs need a lot of swimming room or they get testy. Smallest should be a six foot. Mine is a 180 and wish it was a 240.

Note, when I say Nori, what I am referring to is packages fish food sheets, Julius Sprung and Ocean Nutrition types. I do not feed them the type for humans...

Back