Purple tang with white spots

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Octupus

Octupus
i dont know what to do without this forum. So thank you!
My purple tang is showing white spots. I dont know if they are ick or just stress. I read somewhere that tangs do show these signs but that is not ick. Any ideas? i just bought Kick-Ich and it says it is reef safe. Any one tried this in a reef tank?

My water quality is perfect according to LFS (Denny Pet shop). Thank you

Last edited:
Are they large spots or very small spots? Is this a new addition to your tank or have you had the fish for awhile? Tangs seem to get pretty nasty ich when they change tanks. Even when they go directly to a Qt tank with sterile water they may end up with ich. Just remember if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger, that's what we've told our sick fish in the past and now we see them pumping iron in the corner when they don't think we're looking.

Last edited:
I am guessing Ick. I would choose Ick-Attack with a UV-sterilizer.

I wouldn't use Ick-Attack or anything else IN the display tank, for that matter!! Anything that will kill Ich is also going to kill A LOT of beneficial critters in your tank.

The only way I would ever recommend treating Ich is in two steps. First, get ALL fish out of Display tank and into a QT tank. Keep the display tank fishless for at least 8 weeks. During this time, treat ALL fish in QT tank with hyposalinity for this same 8 week period.

i wouldn't use ick-attack or anything else in the display tank, for that matter!! Anything that will kill ich is also going to kill a lot of beneficial critters in your tank.

The only way i would ever recommend treating ich is in two steps. First, get all fish out of display tank and into a qt tank. Keep the display tank fishless for at least 8 weeks. During this time, treat all fish in qt tank with hyposalinity for this same 8 week period.

i agree, but if we did that everytime we get ick we wouldnt have a fish to show in a display, i have been running ozone tru my skimmer in my 600gal tank for over 4 yrs now to this date i havent had a fish get sick. Works well. Imo

Back