PVC Overflow air vent?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

clevergeek

I decided to make a PVC overflow for my undrilled tank to connect a second tank as a sump/refugium. (based on plans commonly found online like this- http://www.aquariumlife.net/projects/diy-overflow/120.asp)

An 1/8th inch barb fitting is used in the instructions to attach some airline tubing and a check valve to the U that sits on the aquarium rim, so if air does get sucked into the syphon portion of the loop, it can exit the system from the top of the loop (generally by force through some sort of venturi draw from a pump).

I couldn't find the right barb at my local HD's or Lowes, so I decided to skip it, drill a smaller hole, force some airline through, and then glue it down. Welllll....it worked pretty well, but it not completely airtight, I can hear a little squeak coming from the spot, and since I'm using a 1600gph pump, I want to be sure I don't put water all over the room and ruin my new $175 pump...

I'm thinking of drilling out the previous hole up to a 1/4 fitting. I have a thread tap, and found both nylon and brass fittings that will fit, but am not sure which to use. From what I read online, no glue bonds well to nylon, and nylon parts have a tendency to wear out. The brass is more sturdy, but I'm not sure if I should glue it in place either, and several sites I've read say not to use brass on potable water due to lead issues? Any experience using either in your systems?

For the cost of the two CRP overflows I'd need to handle my water turnover, I could just buy another used tank and have it drilled...but I'd still like to just make the PVC solution work, if possible.

Thanks!

Cliff

Did you get this over flow working? Does it restart if the pump gets shut off and turned back on if it is not attached to a power head?

To answer your question though. The nylon should work. Your not going to be working with it much except threading it in so you shouldn't have to worry about it wearing out.

Did you get this over flow working? Does it restart if the pump gets shut off and turned back on if it is not attached to a power head?

To answer your question though. The nylon should work. Your not going to be working with it much except threading it in so you shouldn't have to worry about it wearing out.

Yeah, it's been running for a few days now, and seems to work really well.

So far I haven't used either of the connectors, I just resealed the sections that seemed like likely leak areas. (and at the same time added a siphon break to the display return line. The first time I turned off the return pump and left the room it brought more of the display tank water back to the sump than I thought it would).

I'm thinking about running another with a slightly higher water level in case something happens and it loses the siphon in the top loop. I'll probably also install a float switch in the sump to try to ensure I don't destroy the pump if I ever did end up overflowing the display.

As an added bonus the tall PVC siphon break part of the overflow has a skimmer effect. I got up on Saturday morning, and there was a surprising amount of skimmate foaming over the top of the break. I've since added a collection cup, and I'm surprised how well it works.

Last edited:
Back