PVC primer and cement

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

BCT182

I was wondering if the seperate PVC primers or cements sold at Homedepot are ok for salt water reef tanks? Hopefully they are as I already bought them. One is a gray can, and one in a purple can. Also, any tips for a life-long glue job?
TIA
Brett

Me too. Just let the primer dry before applying the cement or else your pipes will have purple smears all over them...at least that's what I've heard :)

After they are fully cured they are safe for all reefing purposes.
The purple is just a cleaner/primer.
When glueing a PVC joint, use the dobber on both the male and female parts and dont be shy with the glue. Give a slight twist while pushing them together. Hold them together for a few seconds so they dont push back apart (Its not common on small PVC but very noticable on 2") Let them cure up properly and they will last a life time, or until the pipe is brittle and breaks.

FWIW, I dont use the purple primer on any of my reef related PVC work anymore.

And if you use any spaflex it will shove into ant tee way easier after you prime it. Otherwise I agree with trido.

:)

Paul

They are both necessary and both safe. The purpose of the primer/cleaner is two fold and somewhat misunderstood. It cleans, obviously...but it also primes in a way that allows the cement to weld the two pieces into one. The primer SOFTENS the PVC surface. Once the cement is applied, the softening of the two surfaces allows the cement to weld these pieces together. They in fact, weld into one piece, if done properly. To do this properly, the PVC primer must still be wet when the cement is applied. After a brief curing time, it is all reef safe.

Used to work for my Ex Father in Law as a plumber. PVC Primer and Cement are safe for drinking from within 15 minutes of application. In reef systems, I've allowed as little as 20 minutes with NO ill effect.

Is there any special tricks to gluing gate valves?

I'm concerned about pushing too much cement into the bottom while joining it to the pipe, it may glue the gate to the valve body?

purple and clear are your friend.

purple all over the one side...

clear all over the other side... insert and twist at the same time...

is what i was tought from a plumber friend.

...and a little primer goes a long way. Every time I glue something I forget about that and the stuff runs all over the place--instantly stains whatever it touches purple!

Back