PVC Question

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

TalFish

I'm sure this has been covered before but, I'm new here, lol

When using PVC for an in-tank application (such as rock support) how long should one wait for the PVC adhesive to dry before placing in the tank? minutes, hours, days?

Just wondering when it would be considered safe.

Thanks, TalFish:)

Thanks rude,

That's what I was wanting to know... if the cure time listed on the can was long enough to make it "reef safe"

Cheers, T

I just know from experiance.... you can drink the water through pipe that has been glued (PVC Glue) within a few mins. of drying. I have also done this with my tank with no effects.

The time reccomendation is strictly for the pressurization of the pipe. I have done some irrigation systems in the past. If you don't wait at least 2 hours your chance of blowing apart is fairly high. Glue your parts put them together with a quarter twist, hold them for 30 seconds and wipe off any excess. Primer is the bad one any puddles of primer degrades the pvc greatly. I have seen it many times I have gone out to do a repair for someone and found the area of failure to be where there was a puddle of primer.

good luck on your project.

DB

I've waited about 2-3 hours after glueing to submerse my plumbing for my CL. It's working fine so far and hasn't had any leaks. Best of luck man...:)

I use a glue from europe, and I can get a pipe up and running in the time it takes to plug in the pump. No worries!
Jason

Back