PVC vs. ABS

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Detri

I have worked with both in septic systems and plumping. I am designing my sump and flow system. I was wondering what is the diffrence, if any? And, is it safe to use either.

I have never had to wonder what the up and down sides were I just put it together.

I've used ABS in short sections and not had a problem with it. It seems to me that if you used ABS instead of PVC ells and such you would get bette water flow due to the longer radius of the fittings.

Thats what I was thinking aswell after the fact. I have some pieces left from the least job I did and compared them. I was just thinking maybe it was a material issue.

I dont see a problem with either one. But then again I just tend to do strange things. I.E. Blood in my fish tank, cleaned my sand bed, catch stuff with my hands, and all sorts of other wierd stuff. LOL

Haha, yea but look at your tank. your doing something right. May have a little set back. but that wasn't your fault and its recovering nicely.

I once heard that ABS is fine for fresh water but not for salt water. I heard that ABS is not as UV resistant as PVC. I'm not trying to spread rumors. I did read it on a forum somewhere.

I'd bet ABS is a fine alternative.

What about sheet ABS?

I want my BB to be sloped, I want gravity to help out my spray bar. I do not want a reflective of surface of ANY color, and I do not want a white surface. Starboard, which seems to be the standard, only comes in white. ABS comes in black with roughened surfaces like that of Starboard.

Any idea if this stuff will hurt anything before I install it?

I recently read on RC that the reason that ABS is not NSF approved or FDA approved is because most ABS is used for purposes not intended for potable water or food; therefore NSF/FDA approval is not required though it is perfectly safe.

Thanks, I am going to look into it more soon. I am going to be doing plumbing next month on my tank, hopefully.

kcharm said:
What about sheet ABS?

I want my BB to be sloped, I want gravity to help out my spray bar. I do not want a reflective of surface of ANY color, and I do not want a white surface. Starboard, which seems to be the standard, only comes in white. ABS comes in black with roughened surfaces like that of Starboard.

Any idea if this stuff will hurt anything before I install it?

Check out other plastics as well:
One is Seaboard which is a UV stabilized material very similar to Starboard but comes in a few different colors and is cheaper.
Another to check out is Kydex which is an "alloy" of PVC and acrylic, used often for backgrounds in public aquaria.
Yet another is Sintra, which is an expanded PVC. There are a few companies which make expanded PVC, Sintra is simply the most well known brand.
And another is P95 acrylic. It's plain ol' acrylic with a matte surface, made in black as well.
The cheaper of the lot is Sintra, next would be ABS. There is some light reflection from ABS (though not alot) as it's textured surface is still kinda shiny.

Given your location, call Port Plastics, they carry all of them.

James

Back