Quarantine chaeto?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Slickdonkey

Drink me
Hi gang,

I'm thinking of getting some chaeto to help start my fuge up. Can anyone recommend a good QT procedure? I've decided it would be safest to go this route to prevent introducing red bugs, flatworms, or other nasties into the main tank.

I was thinking of just rinsing it in freshwater and sticking it in a QT tank for 2-3 weeks. Or should I actively treat it.? If so, for what? Any thoughts?

Also if anyone has some extra, I'll bring you a beer or two in exchange!

I am glad you're asking this question. Not only is it a good question, but it shows you are a pretty conscientious aquarist.

It doesn't need nor should it be treated. A freshwater rinse will damage much of the fibers. Enough would survive the dip, but so will some of the things you want to keep out of your system.

If you can manage the patience, just hold the chaeto in a quarantine tank for 6 weeks while you inspect what is in it. If there are any obligate parasites, they will likely die off in that time, without having a fish host. If there are worms or pods you don't want you can pick them out or, if you suspend the clump, watch for unwanted hitchhikers to drop away from the clump.

I think I would treat Chaeto for flatworms or at least quarantine it for a period of time. I made the mistake of not doing this and just plopped it into my fuge and a week later I noticed red flatworms everywhere. Not a big deal to treat your tank but a pain nonetheless.

I don't think red bugs could come in on chaeto but who knows! :)

leebca said:
I am glad you're asking this question. Not only is it a good question, but it shows you are a pretty conscientious aquarist.

It doesn't need nor should it be treated. A freshwater rinse will damage much of the fibers. Enough would survive the dip, but so will some of the things you want to keep out of your system.

If you can manage the patience, just hold the chaeto in a quarantine tank for 6 weeks while you inspect what is in it. If there are any obligate parasites, they will likely die off in that time, without having a fish host. If there are worms or pods you don't want you can pick them out or, if you suspend the clump, watch for unwanted hitchhikers to drop away from the clump.

Ok. I'm not sure I have the proper lighting in my QT for this but I should be able to rig it up. I guess I'm mainly concerned about things I can't see. But as you say, 6 weeks in isolation should kill that stuff off. Unless there are undesirables that are difficult to see and don't require a fish host?!

Well I think that it is a great idea to quarantine the chaeto also. I just plopped mine in from the lfs and it did have quite a few nasties like planaria. Luckily my system is so low nutrient that they didn't really stand a chance. So anyway good luck with that, and if you need any chaeto, I can hook you up.

Ok. Would 2x65W PC's keep the stuff alive for 6 weeks? Or should I use a PAR38 flourescent bulb similar to what I have on my fuge? And what do I have to feed it? The QT is bare; no nutrients or anything. Does it just grow on light or does it need anything else?

I would def QT cheato. To great of a risk.
I'm not sure I have the proper lighting in my QT for this
Lights across America make a 65w flood that they "claim" has the same lumens output as a 500w bulb. They burn at 6.5k and work great. Lowes and HD should carry them for around $25-35

Chaeto gets along quite well with low lighting. For the 6 weeks, it doesn't have to be the best lighting.

If you see anything in the Chaeto that you don't like, (like you wrote, that doesn't need a fish host) then by all means do a treatment for that specific 'undesirable.' ;)

mmkeeper: I am talking about the whole fixture not just the bulb. I just saw the bulb for $9.95 at lowes today also.

What kind of fixture is this? Or would my existing 30" 2x65 PC fixture work fine for 6 weeks? Sounds like it according to Lee.

how well would 2 96watt 6700K PC's do for growing chaeto? if that is not enough light what would you suggest.

Brenden said:
mmkeeper: I am talking about the whole fixture not just the bulb. I just saw the bulb for $9.95 at lowes today also.
i believe it comes in the security light fashion wallmount and a pendant sort of deal, i think pendant sort of things are $40 local and the security light is $20, here's a ebay link
http://cgi.ebay.com/Fluorex-Grow-Li...ryZ46314QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
i would be careful though since i ordered this, not from the same seller, and they sent me the $20 version and i paid $26 and wouldn't give me my money back, i can't use it cause it's too bulky and there's no sheild all the way around on the security light, if someone wants to use the security light version though i'll sell it to ya,

You'd be surprised how resilent cheato is. I had a tank full of uncured live rock that I tossed some cheato in, forgot about, and was still green after maybe a month or more with no light at all (not even windows)

I've seen a very nice tank that I used to do maintenance on get a nasty case of flatworms from some cheato he added to the fuge. Was very sad...

Back