Quarantine Set-ups: Connect to Main System?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

sixxer

I am trying to decide whether it is a good idea or not to plumb my Fish and Coral quarantine Tanks into the main system.

I will have a 100 gallon quarantine tank for the Fish and approx. 30 to 50 gallon quarantine for Corals, etc.

The only reason I am considering this is so that I would be able to fill the quarantine tanks with water from my main system when new livestock comes in. Just want to make sure that no parasites can make there way from the quarantine tanks into the main system.

I guess I could probably just add some T's into the drains from the main tank to divert and fill the quarantine tanks when needed, and then plumb drains from the quarantines to a floor drain to empty them when not in use.

Looking for any input on this set-up and to see if anyone else is running this type quarantine set-up.

Thanks

I would strongly recommend against such a plan. You might get away with connecting them using a properly set up UV (intensity/flow) in between but once there is a problem and treatment is needed (biggest factor), they must be disconnected. Even with a UV in between, the chance of a pathogen/parasite making it's way to the main is still possible albeit small.

Best to have QT and display completely seperate as well as QT only apparatus.

Cheers
Steve

I was thinking of putting two T's on the drain from the main display with ball valves on them so I could fill the quarantines when I needed to use them, not plumbing the tanks back into the system.

If you do that I'd also use a check valve to prevent any back flow, other than that it would be a way to keep water changes in the QT rather easy, just make sure your main tank is already free of everything to start with.

Still not a good idea. The only benefit would be the initial fill. If fish are ever removed from the main for whatever reason, the main tanks water will just recontaminate the QT at each water change so it won't be an option. Also, the water parameters for each tank will not be the same so again, not the best option plus you will be introducing the organics from the main which could reduce water quality, not improve it.

Alot of work for something you'll not really use that much IMO. If you do go ahead with it, still use a UV between the two.

Cheers
Steve

I've always wondered about people having QT's attached to their main tanks. It never really made any sense to me to move a fish etc. to a QT tank if they are still in the same system. People do it here all the time here and as much as I tell them it doesn't make any sense, they still do it. They say that fish diseases go by touch. To me it's the same as the flu...You don't have to touch someone to catch it, all you have to do is breath the same air or be in the same room...

I think I am being misunderstood regarding the purpose of the QT tanks.

They are not intended to be Hospital tanks for anything coming out of the main system, they are intended for acclimating the new fish/corals to my systems chemistry and to treat for any possible parasites that they might bring in that would contaminate the main system. I am sure I could use them as hospital tanks if any parasites make it into the main system, but the main idea behind them is to prevent any of that before new livestock is introduced.

Krish75 - Once this monstrosity is set-up, I am going to come and stay at your place for a few weeks and get some nice samples out of your backyard to get this thing going!!!!lol

sixxer - any chance of drawing up a schematic of how the plumbing will be run in relation to the tanks (I do better with visuals)? Even when using them as acclimation only for new acquisitions, I would be afraid of a parasite on the new acquisition making its way into the main system. If you can keep the water from making its way into the main system, and can clean out the tank afterwards, then I would think it might be alright.

I went back and re-read the description, are they going to be plumbed together? or will the T from the main tank drain fill the QT from over the top and not necessarily be plumbed into the tank. (i.e. the main shares water with the QT, but the QT does not share water with the main)???

Back