Quarantine

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

mavgi

i bought now 2 tang one : clown and powder blue i put them about one hour in the QT before i open the bag , when i open the bag i measure the salinity and i was shock 1.012 i was lucky i did not add water to the bag the fish could stress , now i am reduce the salinity in the tank at least to 1.014 .
i know that the store keep them at 1.019 but in 1.012 it's almost hypo condition . my ro work non stop:)

Since the fish have been introduced to the QT at the corrected salinity based on the shipping level (tested with a refractometer I hope), you may as well leave them like that for a few weeks. Tangs especially can be fussy when first acclimated so the lowered salinity will help with stress and encouraging a feeding response. There is also the chance they may be infested with C. irritans which is often the case (or velvet but that's a different issue hypo won't fix). After the usual QT time (4 weeks) is over and no issues arise, slowly raise the salinity over about 7-10 days until it's back upto the display tanks level. As Steve mentioned above, increases in salinity must be done very slowly.

Great to hear you use a QT :cool:

Cheers
Steve

Since the fish have been introduced to the QT at the corrected salinity based on the shipping level (tested with a refractometer I hope), you may as well leave them like that for a few weeks.

Yes I agree but just would add that you might as well lower it slowly to 1.009 to effectively treat for crypto irritans.

wrightme43 said:
Wow.
Its alot easier for fish to move to lower salinity than it is for them to adapt to higher salinity.

i know that and the tang so sensitive specially the powder blue.

i check the fish and they look clean before i bought them , from my experience always when i add new tang after 2 or 3 days i see the first white spot i hope they will not get velvet it will be harder to save him meantime i am reduce the salinity as much as i can i believe i will go to 1.014 after i check the ph level and then i will start to drip water to the bags

cheeks69 said:
Yes I agree but just would add that you might as well lower it slowly to 1.009 to effectively treat for crypto irritans.

True enough but you also need to realize 1.009 is used in reference to using a hydrometer and specific gravity. Do to it's often inaccurate measurement, you need room for error. If a refractometer is being used 14 ppt (1.011 SG) works just fine. :p

Cheers
Steve

steve-s said:
True enough but you also need to realize 1.009 is used in reference to using a hydrometer and specific gravity. Do to it's often inaccurate measurement, you need room for error. If a refractometer is being used 14 ppt (1.011 SG) works just fine. :p

Cheers
Steve

:lol: Yes I recommend a refractometer :exclaim:

steve-s said:
Since the fish have been introduced to the QT at the corrected salinity based on the shipping level (tested with a refractometer I hope), you may as well leave them like that for a few weeks. Tangs especially can be fussy when first acclimated so the lowered salinity will help with stress and encouraging a feeding response. There is also the chance they may be infested with C. irritans which is often the case (or velvet but that's a different issue hypo won't fix). After the usual QT time (4 weeks) is over and no issues arise, slowly raise the salinity over about 7-10 days until it's back upto the display tanks level. As Steve mentioned above, increases in salinity must be done very slowly.

Great to hear you use a QT :cool:

Cheers
Steve

steve i never stop my QT i think that is the important things in all this hobby , and i never transfer fish before 4 weeks to the MT.by the way i hope the tang will not get velvet i don't like the cooper
tratment i know that Cupramine by Seachem better but any way don't like it it's very hard treatment . but i am ready with all the medicine and if i will see sign of velvet i will treat him in other tank not in my QT. here is the picture of my QT.

after 5 hour i add the 2 fish to the QT , no light but there is a war inside between the fish the chasing each other :evil: hope they will relax . once i have a yellow tang and when i add a blond naso the yellow tang kill him with the tail after 2 hour :mad: tangs...

I am not surprised them are fighting. A clown tang is one of the most aggressive fish people try to keep and the powder blue is not wimp either. I would insert a divider in the quarantine tank to keep them from killing each other. And, I hope you have a very large display aquarium to move them into after quarantine, something 180 gallons or larger.

In future, I would also recommend you remove the rock and substrate. QT's should not contain anything CaCO3 based on the chance any copper or meds are used. It will reduce their effectiveness and make it quite challenging to maintain treatment levels. Stick to inert plastic decorations/PVC. Looks healthy otherwise, 'cept the crowding :p

Cheers
Steve

Back