Quarantining for lots of fish…..

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Size the QT to the fish you want to quarantine. Just go slowly.

I'm glad that you are practicing the quarantine process. But you should know that there are many reasons for doing this, other than just to protect your main system from disease. You've alluded to a couple involving stress by being with another fish. Many of the other reasons require that the fish be alone. Look over all the good reasons to quarantine (see: A Quarantine Procedure) and you should appreciate why fish should not be quarantined together, even if they come from the same system. They need sanctuary and that means to be alone.

Most HT for instance, are reclusive. They are hunting predators that strike and withdraw by nature. The Trigger would fight for its food and keep the HT at bay if it could. They are not a good pair in crowded conditions and not good together in the quarantine process.

The bioload ability of the QT is the bioload put on it. Bioload can come from fish AND the amount of organics being put through it. Damselfish is one source. But if you put in the Damselfish, some ammonium chloride (or pure ammonia) and extra food over a few weeks, the QT bioload capacity would be suitable for a much larger fish without the added organics.

Most HT for instance, are reclusive. They are hunting predators that strike and withdraw by nature. The Trigger would fight for its food and keep the HT at bay if it could. They are not a good pair in crowded conditions and not good together in the quarantine process.
That was just one example I tossed out. I had a HT and a bluethroat trigger in my 125 and they were pretty good friends, often they'd share a piece of krill. I suspect like you mentioned the cramped quarters would change behaviors pretty quickly (probably worse for the bluethroat in that case).

Just thinking out loud with the multiple fish in QT. Just a way to get the fish accustom to each other before they're tossed into the display with other fish. Though I see what you getting at, by a healthy fish stands a better chance, then a starving fish from QT.

Thanks for all your help Lee, a huge benefit to say the least.

Back