Quarantining multiple Centropgye argi

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

MarineDreamer

Est. April 2nd, 2005
Hello Lee, Others;

So while I’m taking a break from plumbing, (the kids were learning choice, new words to repeat to their Mother) I started to read up on QTing new additions to my tank.

In the post, “A Quarantine Process,” we read: “NOTE: Only quarantine one fish at a time.” I’ve read and understand the reasoning behind this concept, and I agree.

One of my goals with this tank is to have four or five Centropgye argi with the ultimate goal of being able to witness the dominant hierarchy social structure and hopefully, spawning behavior.

With Centropyge sp being protogynous hermaphrodites, (all males result from female sex change) which metamorphosis is socially controlled, and that females will start to exhibit “masculine” behaviors within a week with the sex change being completed in about twenty days; (Michael, 2004) I wanted to introduce all the fish at the same time in the hopes of reducing or eliminating aggression between the fish, (this course of action is normally suggested with regards to keeping more than one Centropyge spp in a tank) and trying to keep the females, well females. This would also spread any aggression between the fish.

I can’t possibility house five twenty gallon QT tanks:shock:, let alone conscientiously afford to purchase the equipment for five QT tanks, four of which I don’t plan on using again.

One of my first questions is: Will a Centropyge sp, specifically a Centropyge argi, without contact with another Centropyge sp, become a male? My thinking here is that a dominant male’s behavior will suppress male hormones and that without this interaction, females become males. I think that this would lead to my worst case scenario; a fish makes it through quarantine; and before the next fish gets finished with it’s QT process, the first has become a male and claimed a territory, and sees only one other conspecific when the second, now a male, is introduced into the first’s territory.

My second question is: can a Centropyge sp male, revert back into a female? I thought that I had read some where that scientists/researchers were theorizing that this was possible, but I have but unable to locate any resources saying that this had been confirmed. If this is the case, could I set up two QT tanks, and introduce in pairs? Would this facilitate the one harem, or would I be creating two pairs that would have to establish territory within the first pairs’ territory? One step further, what would happen with the introduction of a third pair or a single (fifth) fish?

And finally my third question; has someone thought outside the box, (or the tank as the case may be:lol:) and have a solution that would allow me to QT five fish simultaneously without the need to set up five QT tanks?

Some details about the tank set up. The main display is an 8x2x2 SPS reef, supported by a 40 gallon sump and 110 gallon refugium. Potential tankmates may include a trio of Mandarin gobies, three Zebrasoma tangs, seven Chromis sp, two Gramma sp, one Tinker’s or Hawaiian Butterfly, one Blue Faced Angelfish, two anemonefish, one Bullet goby, and one flasher wrasse. I say potential because I have not finished my research into all these fishes. And in an effort to keep in the accounting department’s good graces, I try to consider fishes that she likes. (Why does she always point at the obligatory stony coral feeders and ask, ‘what about that one?’:confused:)

On a side note Lee: thanks for all time that you put in here. A lot time went into those stickies, and though it may feel at times that no one reads them; I sure found them to be helpful.:D

Thanks in advance, Everyone!!!

I understand your view. However, there are a few issues at play here.

1. If one fish is diseased, all fish then have to be treated.
2. If one fish has one disease, another has a different disease, infection, or parasite, then all fish have to be treated for multiple problems.
3. Marine life should be introduced to the display tank slowly. If the display is over 300 gallons, then two small fish at a time in two QTs is reasonable.

A fish should not have to go through multiple treatments when it may be 'clean' or have only a minor ailment.. I don't believe most hobbyists are able to handle multiple diseased fishes at the same time. I don't believe in rushing things, so the slow addition of marine lifeforms to the display is the way to go.

If you're serious about the multiple additions simultaneously then being serious about multiple QTs should follow. Buy used equipment; sell the tanks when you are done or, better yet, give them away as Christmas/birthday/graduation gifts to get others into the marine aquarium keeping hobby. :)

Last edited:
I'm planning on a tank with pairs, harems & schools. The big problem is some of these fish could change into dominant males or females if housed without the other fish to create the pecking order or heirarchy. You also have to have the ablility to remove bullies, timid fish from the group, an imcompatible pair, ect. This is something that will be a lot easier to handle in a QT tank.

Adding a single fish to an established school is going to be difficult. Adding 2-4 fish to an existing school creates an easier transition.

I don't see any way around this. My QT tank is a 60g & 4 will be the maximum number of fish at one time.

Big E points out a very important 'exception' to the general recommendation of one fish per QT. Fishes that are schooling fishes should be put through a QT process together for the reasons Big E has indicated. The schooling fishes are best handled in this way, despite the downsides pointed out to multiple fishes.

In the QT process, the pairing and pecking order begins and the hobbyist can determine if this is a 'good match' for the school.

Back