question about aquac remora skimmer

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

kickside

Alright so I pick up a use remora skimmer yeserday with a 1200 maxi jet pump
and it seems to be working fine. But this morning I empty the collection cup and within a hour the collection cup was fill to the top, is there a reason is filling up so fast??

It has it's adjustment cup too low, raise it to the top. http://www.proteinskimmer.com/User's Manuals/Remora.pdf
For it's size and class when it came out, was considered a good skimmer. Now I wouldn't use it on a 10 gallon tank. Can get equivelent sized ones which use much less power, are quieter and out skim it 10 to one. Skimmers such as the Eshopps - Hang On Protein Skimmer PSK-75H

Last edited:
I had the same skimmer as well. As Mike suggested, adjust the cup. The higher you take the cup, the less skimmate/ water will be passed into the collection cup. Usually people who want thicker dry skimmate adjust this way. Those who want watery skimmate that looks like urine then adjust it lower. :)

Just curious are you dosing anything ATM? Or treating your tank for anything? Some of the dosing or treatments (additives) will make a skimmer over skim.

If you are missing the large black o-ring that keeps the cup up high just write the company and they will send you a new one at no cost. Great customer service but not a very good skimmer pricewise with the choices out today.

If you are missing the large black o-ring that keeps the cup up high just write the company and they will send you a new one at no cost. Great customer service but not a very good skimmer pricewise with the choices out today.

thanks
but I gave up on that stupid skimmer
I should be getting my new one in the mail by next week =)

I have been using the AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer for almost 4 years and it works great for me. Started on a 29 gallon and now on an 80. I just adjust the ring on the collection cup if it fills too quickly. Why is everyone so down on Remora Pro? Maybe just personal preference?

What shimmer did you go with? I was looking at the Reef Octopus, not sure which model yet though.

I order the reef octopus bh100f, I wanted to get the SWC Mini HOT Protein Skimmer SWC BH 100F
but the shipping for that one was about 30 dollars

I have had good luck with my remoras. I used to get issues from some dechlorinators that I used on tap water making the skimmer go nuts, but that was solved by using a different brand. I always get plenty of dark skimmate.

Back