Question about battery backup

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

I dont think so.....I could be wrong though.

For my tanks I rely on Penn Plax B-11 Silent Air pumps....not at all what you are asking about.....but they will run on two D cell batteries for about 5 days, and come on automatically if they detect that power has been cut off. They plug in to a wall socket and kick on quickly. Depending on the size of your tank and the bio load in it, they should be able to keep you going for a while until you can get something else going....

Just a more affordable thought...

Nick

thanks for the input. at this point i've decided to probably go with a small generator instead of the battery backup. the only down side is that unless i spend a good chunck of change on an auto transfer switch, i'll have to be there to fire it up if the power goes out.

thanks for the input. at this point i've decided to probably go with a small generator instead of the battery backup. the only down side is that unless i spend a good chunck of change on an auto transfer switch, i'll have to be there to fire it up if the power goes out.

You'll also need a generator with a starter. Most of the small ones just have a pull start. I think the air pumps or bilge pumps are a good option to get you by until you can get home from work. Small bilge pumps cant return water from your sump for hours using a deep cycle battery. They are easy to make switch on automaticly when the power goes out.

Don

Yup,
thats the way I went....

Don knows ALOT more about the tech side of just about anything on this board so far as I've seen...but here are some links to help you out..

We bought this generator for our house at Lowes for $1299.99. My neighbor bought this generator instead and in hindsight, I wish we had bought that one instead. It has an hours meter which is nice...cant remember if it has an oil filter on it though....mine doesnt either.

We decided on a generator that size so that we could run more than my fishtanks during a power outtage. Next thing to purchase for us is a Power Transfer Kit for Portable Generators. I like the idea of not relying on electrical cords for power.

Things to remember about generators....

1...They produce exhaust fumes which can kill, (Carbon Monoxide poisoning)
2...The exhaust gets hot, and can cause fires either by being too close to something that can burn, or if one gets sloppy while refueling the generator.
3...By design, they run on some sort of flammable fuel source....again exhaust heat issues.
4...They generate electricity....enough to either kill or seriously injure careless people....you also need to buy appropriately sized electrical cords to handle the load they carry...electrical fires are no joke.

Having said all of the scary stuff.....I could not imagine life without ours...
If you treat them like any other dangerous but useful item, you'll be fine.

Another good link for you to read...

DISASTER READINESS by RICHARD DURSO

Nick

those air pumps are a reasonable option for moving the water (given enough of them). it still leaves the issue of heat though. i believe that normally speaking, the poseidon ps4 will keep the water warm (wether i want it to or not), but it won't be running during a power outage. perhaps an inverter and a marine battery for that?
also, Don I'm assuming that you're talking about a boat bilge pump, not the type that I have in my basement?

Last edited:
those air pumps are a reasonable option for moving the water (given enough of them). it still leaves the issue of heat though. i believe that normally speaking, the poseidon ps4 will keep the water warm (wether i want it to or not), but it won't be running during a power outage. perhaps an inverter and a marine battery for that?
also, Don I'm assuming that you're talking about a boat bilge pump, not the type that I have in my basement?

Yes a 12vdc, preferrably a shurflow branded boat bilge pump. Inverters are not efficient and require more juice killing the battery much quicker. The bilge pump can get you anywhere from 5-10 hrs. This is just to get you by until can get home and run the generator. Temp shouldnt be a issue for a few hours since no one is home opening doors cooling off the house. If someone is home they can turn on the generator. They are easy to get going and train the family.
You can easily auto switch the bildge pump and run a battery tender on the marine batter so it always ready to switch over.

Don

Take it from someone who lost power for 7 days. For the amount you spend on your tanks $300-500 on a generator is a great insurance policy. I had to get one after the outage started (the next day) and suffered losses because of it. One outage and you can loose more than $500 worth of livestock easily.

Resurrecting this old thread.

We still need to buy a generator and are ambivalent about investing in an expensive auto-start Guardian generator because the hardware alone is $2k and then the installation and permitting (required for Lynnwood) is ~$2K on top. :shock:

Is it possible to buy a portable generator w/electric start, wire it up to power-transfer box, and have the switches auto-transfer in the event of an outage? I'm just looking for a way to have the safety/convience of auto-start without having to invest the big-bucks in the Guardian/Generac stand-by system.

As for the portable generator itself, I know that the Hondas are supposed to be quiet, or sort of quiet, but once again I can't find one for less than $2k.

Does anyone know of a portable generator (~5000kw is fine) that is not gawd-awful loud, has electric start and an hours meter, and is less expensive than the Hondas?

Thanks for any help or advice.... :)

Jan,

Sadly, you're not gonna get the auto start w/o the extra expenses of a Generac or Guardian style generator. However.....there are several other alternatives....

I have this generator:

Briggs & Stratton 8000 Watt Electric Start Portable Generator. Its labeled "Troy Built" since we bought it from Lowe's, but its the same generator. No hours meter, but a good generator non the less.

My next door neighbor has this generator:

Briggs & Stratton 8000 Watt Electric Start Generator w/ Cord his does have an hours meter...but also has a metal gas tank...so rust may be an issue farther along in the future.

Our next purchase is going to be this :

Reliance Power Transfer Kit for Portable Generators (10 Circuit)

This will allow me to have 10 circuits of my choice, (hardwired by an electrician) to be powered by the generator. All we'll need to do is fire up the generator, plug it into the large outside receptacle/outlet, and then flip on the switches....no more heavy gauge extension cords to untangle or feed through dryer vents to keep doors/windows shut.

I personally would love to have an auto start whole house genset....but its just not in the budget anytime soon. Right now I'm making do with the portable generator and some Penn-Plaxx B-11 silent airpumps which are battery powered and come on automatically in the event of a power outtage. Those will keep things going long enough for me to come home and get the generator going.

Nick

the Briggs & Stratton 8000 watt electric start Generator is an excellent choice...
i've had one for a couple of years and i never had any trouble with rust...
also it's reasonably priced for it's value in my opinion.
Ritchie

Back