question about conversion for °%?

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

menace78

I work at an analytical lab and have access to alot of testing equipment including the Conductivity/Salinity/TDS probe.
I bring my water in sometimes to run on the IC, ISE, and Latchet to double check my testers and for the perm's I don't have testers for.
I would like to do the same with the conductivity probe but I only have a hydrometer and and don't know and can't find a conversion for °% so I can't reference a baseline for my normal 1.025.
I know that °%=ppt but most seawater we receive is in the 60°%+ range and I can't figure out what I'm missing.​

And is there any thoughts on using this to keep track of my salinity?​

Last edited:
I work at an analytical lab and have access to alot of testing equipment including the Conductivity/Salinity/TDS probe.
I bring my water in sometimes to run on the IC, ISE, and Latchet to double check my testers and for the perm's I don't have testers for.
I would like to do the same with the conductivity probe but I only have a hydrometer and and don't know and can't find a conversion for °% so I can't reference a baseline for my normal 1.025.
I know that °%=ppt but most seawater we receive is in the 60°%+ range and I can't figure out what I'm missing.​

And is there any thoughts on using this to keep track of my salinity?​

i think there is a way to do this, and you should be able to find some conversion chart somewhere. also, you will have to test the conductivity of the source water before you add the salt as well to get an accurate reading.

i think there is a way to do this, and you should be able to find some conversion chart somewhere. also, you will have to test the conductivity of the source water before you add the salt as well to get an accurate reading.
Ya I just can't find one.:doubt:
and as for the source water I already check my DI every month or so.
last check:
TDS 0
Salinity 0.0°%
Conductivity 0.4µs
I think I'll check my tap water now that I think of it on monday as well.

Menace

in the 60°%+ range

Me either, as there is not such thing as 60°% unless there has been allot of evaporation or your samples are like from th Dead Sea.

So, here yah go, make sure you follow instructions :)

Resulting Salinity Calculator
http://www.hamzasreef.com/Contents/Calculators/ResultingSalinity.htm

Water Volume: Leave alone

Current Salinity: Choose the one you want to use

Freshwater Added (+) or Water Evaporated (-): Make that box blank **Always When just doing conversions

Calibration Temperature: of a floating hydrometer ONLY, otherwise leave it alone, if Salinity or Conductivity

Expected* Water Temperature: Same exact number as Calibration Temperature above

Actual Water Temperature: Temp of the water being tested

Resulting Salinity: Pick what you want to convert to

Examples

Current Salinity: Choose the one you want to use "sg" @ 1.023

Calibration Temperature: of a ***floating*** hydrometer = 59 F

Expected* Water Temperature: 59 F

Actual Water Temperature: = 80 F

Resulting Salinity: = to ppt

Answer = 34.011

Next Ex

Conductivity

Current Salinity: = 53 mS

Resulting Salinity: = to sg

Answer = 1.0269

Refract

Current Salinity: = 1.0264

Resulting Salinity: = to mS

Always 77 F for all 3 for Refract or Swing Arm Hydrometer when converting from Sg to something else
Calibration Temperature: = 77

Expected* Water Temperature = 77

Actual Water Temperature: = 77

Answer = 53.113 mS

Last edited:
That's what I was looking for. That will do everything but the °C - °F conversion which I know all to well. thanks boomer!

And after looking into some of the job folders from the ones that were that high that I have recently tested, I have found that they are from the american embassy Djibouti, africa and the project manager asys they are usualy that high.

africa and the project manager asys they are usualy that high

Yes, they may be that high as some Tidal Flats are that high as are some Lagoons. The famous Laguna Madre in Texas gets up to 60 ppt at times.

The saltiest lake on earth is located in Djibouti, Lake Assal, which is ten times saltier than the ocean and is even saltier than the Dead Sea. It gets up to 35 % or 350 ppt and NSW is 3.5 % or 35 ppt.

Map_Padre_Island_towns.gif

Last edited:
Last summer, I was working on South San Padre Island, right before one of the hurricanes came through. I brought a very small amount of water home with me, in my tool box, just to check it out. If I remember right, it was at 1.027 or 1.028. I remember being quite surprised at how high it was. This was collected during low tide, on a very hot and muggy day, on the inland side of the island. I am sure that no evaporation took place during transport, however, it did come back in the luggage area of 3 airplanes. Wonder if the high altitude effected it.

Maybe you mean 1.037 -1.038, which is quite common there @ 49 - 50 ppt. 1.027 - 1.028 is just above NSW at 36 - 37 ppt and NSW is 35 ppt. However, you could have seen that as the actual salinity depends on storm surges, rainfall and run-off and can range from 2 ppt to 120 ppt. The south end is the lowest and the north end is th highest. South San Padre Island is often more close to NSW like the numbers you got. If it wasn't for the man-made inlets at the south end it would be really salty most of the time. For the last 3 years I have spent 2-3 months there in the winter visiting a buddy who RV's there all winter in Baffin Bay. Baffin Bay also has a number of tidal salt flats which get really salty.

Last edited:
Back