Question about LED lighting...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Manderdz3

So we have a 54 gallon corner tank with a couple corals, (frogspawn, zenia, plate coral, leather coral, kenya trees and some mushrooms), but we'd like to spruce up the lighting a little. Would an 18-24 and a 24-36inch Marineland LED Reef Capable lighting system be enough to keep everyone happy? Thanks!

Welcome to reeffrontiers. I'm going no, they are only 1 Watt led's. I'm guessing if you doubled them they would be enough. This is my personal opinion someone with some more led experience may have some more insight on this.

ya im not a fan of the marineland LEDs either...get 3w crees and keep wat u want! If u wanted 1w leds it would take a lot more!

We're totally new to the whole LED thing, we don't know much about them. But we'd like to add some more corals to the tank, and want to have the right lighting. Are there any other suggestions for lights that would work for us? The 3 watt crees? Is there a specific brand/light we can look up to learn more about them?

the AquaUFO nails it , just sold one for a 54gallon corner unit, I have three coming in next week.

marineland and aquaticlife are similar low powered LEDs , they are like low wattage t-5's.not for growing corals.

Redc

I'm going against the grain on this one. I have a 20gal. long with simular coral, mostly softies and LPS. I have the Marineland reef LED fixture now for 6 months all coral are doing great. My Xenia are getting thicker bases and growing, hammers are full and plate corals never looked better. Also love the shimmer effect. One note this fixture throws a 10" wide foot print you may need two fixtures, also get longest fixture that will fit your tank. Because the LED bulbs are actual 4 to 6 inches less than the length of fixture. Also the bulbs are not protected so you can not have this directly over tank without a lid. The brackets for this fixture places unit inches above tank. I placed this fixture in a old PC leaving the fan running for cooling. I tried to insert picture didn't work. 2010.06.24 001.jpg

Thank you! We've definitely been torn on the lighting situation. But your insight helps! :) We have yet to have the shimmer effect on any of our tanks, so I'm really looking forward to it. When we finally get a light we'll post a picture!

To get the shimmer effet you need to have a power head pointed up to surface. If there is no ripples on surface there is no shimmer. I have a power head that is not attached to tank I susspended it from cord and wrapped a zip tie around cord and nozel to angle it upward.
This time picture didn't work.

Attachments

• 2010.06.24 012.jpg
    2010.06.24 012.jpg
    49.3 KB
  • 2010.06.24 003.jpg
    2010.06.24 003.jpg
    78.2 KB
That so funny it work but didn't let me know it till I submitted it. Pictures aren't good because the intesity of the LED, plus was taken with a bad camera.

Last edited:
Back