Question About LS and LR

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

skyesfire

My question is, what would I need to keep live rock and live sand only in a 20 gal until my 65 gal is ready. Light, filtration etc.

Welcome to RF! Hope you enjoy it here:) As for the live rock and live sand, how long do you think you will need them to sit in the 20gal for? Definately you'd need some sort of circulation in there and lighting, well IMO you wouldn't need much of it per day. I'm not sure what all is living in the live rock that may need the lighting, but for simply bacteria, you wouldn't need all that much IMO. Just my 2 cents worth. Best of luck setting up the 65gal:)

Good circulation and if it is in there for a while you will need to feed it. Lighting will only be needed if you are growing or maintaining coralline. WELCOME TO RF!!

Not sure about the need for a heater during a Texas summer, but if you keep it in there into the winter...........(good thought)

O.K sounds good so far.
Next question, should I cycle the 65 gallon and add the live rock and sand to it instead of the 20 gal. Could I use Normal Output Fluorescents until I decide on lights and a few other things.

Not sure I understand the question but I would add the contents of the 20 to the 65 to seed the 65 and start the cycle.. How/why do you have a 20 with sand/rock?

Sorry Im new at this. I have an empty 20 and a empty 65 just finished the stand for it (65). Friend at work says "hey you want some sand and rock for free if so get it asap". Im about a month away from having all the supplies.

Can not beat free rock. I would use the free rock/sand to seed the tank as stated earlier. Sitting there fallow that long should eliminate any parasites that may be in it. Be aware that the sand may be full of debris that may cause your NO3 levels to go really high when you add it to your main. I would consider not using the sand for this reason. While the tank (20) is sitting I would put a very small amount of food in once a week just to keep the bacteria happy.

Back