Question about old live rock...

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

Walmart for 8 bucks the size of a full size bed pillow. Enough to last for months. In my case years since I wash my floss several times before replacing them.

So if you go to walmart, and look for the POLY-FIL. Its very similar to the filter floss you buy from petshops but for a very cheap price.

poly+fill.jpg

Ahh perfect. Thank you. I will have to make a soda bottle and clean up my display. It makes sense that the bigger things don't make it to the overflow.
Your a genius ;)
Thanks again

So here is the rundown....

1) cut the the soda pop bottle. Its up to you how deep or shallow you want. Also if you have egg crate, try to make something similar with the picture. The purpose of this is to stop the poly fill to go up the neck. The closer the poly fill to the neck, the easier for it to get clog up.

IMG_20121127_184239.jpg

2) Here is the Poly-Fil material. Similar to what pet shops have but cheaper. You can also find it at Joannes or Michaels. But Walmart has the better price.

IMG_20121127_184507.jpg

3) You can see that the poly fill stops at a certain point at the neck of the bottle. This is because of the egg crate.

IMG_20121127_193449.jpg

How would you know that it needs washing or replacement. The color will change to brown. And also the size of the poly fill will shrink to almost half because of compression and suction. Also, you will notice that you dont need to clean your tank glass often because of the floss.

Hope these helps.

Last edited:
AhHA!...I was thinking the bottle was on the exhaust side of the pump. Its not, it is on the intake side.

What size pump are you using?

Yea It is. Should I put my maxi on that setup or keep it with this one

ebezyjab.jpg

Don't mind my clown fish. He's a picture wh?re :)

I think you can use it more useful on that setup because of the flow. I just have extra maxijet for flossing.

Great idea! I am always thinking of ways to clean the detritus out of my sump. I've used the handheld vacume, but this is not strong enough. Have you tried putting the bottle on the intake of a bigger pump like an Iwaki 70? I was thinking of doing this in my sump when I clean it. It would only be for a short time frame.

Great idea! I am always thinking of ways to clean the detritus out of my sump. I've used the handheld vacume, but this is not strong enough. Have you tried putting the bottle on the intake of a bigger pump like an Iwaki 70? I was thinking of doing this in my sump when I clean it. It would only be for a short time frame.

Mac make sure to put those eggcrate... for your high flow pump. Make it as big as the diameter of the pop bottle... hope this helps.

Back