Question about Spectrapure MPRO 25 and filter media

Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum

Help Support Reef Aquarium & Tank Building Forum:

jrgilles

Hey guys, I have a used Spectrapro MPRO-25 that I'm thinking about starting to use.

http://www.spectrapure.com/St_line_p3.htm

I was wondering on the water quality of this filter and what kind of filtration I should use for seattle water. I'm assuming its ok to hook up to my house water feed (copper pipe.)

It has 2 canisters in the main unit, and a 3rd canister that is attached via plastic hose. Is this third separate filter a pre or post filter? I just id'd the model and I'm going to try to hunt down a manual now.

Anyway, I was talking to thefilterguys.com, but wanted to get your read on what is a good filter combination for seattle city water, and if this filter is up to the task of my 18 gallon/week water change schedule.

Up to now I've been using a $5k 5 stage, 400 GPD lab filter i picked up free from a lab that went under, but it says I need to replace the filters, and I have consumed the stockpile I initially acquired. I'm afraid the replacement filter cost is going to be crazy (proprietary, have to order them from the german company called millipore). Also its made to hook up to a DI water feed, and the filter life on my house water is about 3 months. Seems I need to test out another more standardized filtration method...

rob

Found the filter prices for what I'm using now at

http://www.labwater.com/shopdisplay...rs_For_first_generation_Beige__Milli-Q_system

Carbon filters are 60 bucks, and organic scavenger filters are a hundred. (replacement membrane is $837 >.< )

I've been running it with a carbon, an organic scavenger, and 2 mixed bed, but thats just because it came with that.

Pretty pricy though to replace all 4 (5 if I do the last inline container). I do love the GPH though.

A prefilter or some way to flush would make the filters last longer I think, but not sure how to mod that in.

Also, I read the Spectrapure MPRO-25 produced 4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of clean water?

Does this mean that I have to dump 4 gallons before I'm running clean, or that if I get 10 gallons of pure water, I'm going to have 40 gallons of waste?

Thanks guys

Also, I read the Spectrapure MPRO-25 produced 4 gallons of waste water for every gallon of clean water?

Does this mean that I have to dump 4 gallons before I'm running clean, or that if I get 10 gallons of pure water, I'm going to have 40 gallons of waste?

Thanks guys

You are going to have a large amount of waste with that filter. The 25gpd membranes are not very efficient by todays standards. You can use the same system and just upgrade the membrane and flow restrictor to a much better 75gpd.

Don

Yea, the waste seems crazy. The one I'm using now has no waste at all. Takes a gallon or so at the start (5 min) to get the water pure, then it is all good water.

My current water hookup is a 1/4" tubing that I attached to a copper line with a self tapping needle valve. Is this going to be enough pressure to make this work? Or does it have to be hooked up to a hose faucet or something?

Is it worth trying to upgrade this to get it more effecient? Or should I sell it and put the money towards a higher throughput filter?

Do all of these RO water filters produce this crazy amount of waste water?

I need to get a filter running asap, but would like to get something set up that will function well for what I need and not generate a huge amount of waste....

Yea, the waste seems crazy. The one I'm using now has no waste at all. Takes a gallon or so at the start (5 min) to get the water pure, then it is all good water.

My current water hookup is a 1/4" tubing that I attached to a copper line with a self tapping needle valve. Is this going to be enough pressure to make this work? Or does it have to be hooked up to a hose faucet or something?

Is it worth trying to upgrade this to get it more effecient? Or should I sell it and put the money towards a higher throughput filter?

Do all of these RO water filters produce this crazy amount of waste water?

I need to get a filter running asap, but would like to get something set up that will function well for what I need and not generate a huge amount of waste....

All RO systems create waste. You can however minimize by getting or building a better system. The efficiency will depend on a few things like water pressure and temp. I'd suggest you swap your membrane and check valve for a 75gpd with new pre and carbon filter. Add a pressure gauge to the system the connect to your existing 1/4" line. If you have upwards of 60psi then I'd add a second 75gpd membrane. I'd also add a DI cartrige for the cleanest possible water.

Don

I'm pretty sure this unit has a pressure valve on it, but I'll check when I get home.

OK, so here's what I'm thinking then:

1) Order a prefilter (thefilterguys.com?)
2) Get a 75 gpd membrane and check valve
3) Replace filters
so, there are 3 places for filters, 2 are in the unit, one is in a separate cylinder that is connected by 1/4" tubing (looks like the end of the chain, what is this btw? I'll check in the manual when I get home.)

So please correct this flow chart if I'm wrong....

Water line -> prefilter (need to purchase) -> Unit filter 1 (carbon?) -> Unit filter 2 (DI) -> Unknown Stage 3 filter (attached via soft tubing)

So don, do you think I'm better off just buying a new setup? I can reuse the TDS meter, etc. from this, but with replacing/rebuilding everything for this 25 gpd system, might it be better to get something built off the bat to handle more? I'm thinking the cost isn't that much more to just get an upgrade, then I can sell this one to someone who has a smaller tank, which will help cover the cost....

I think I'll also sell my huge filter system, which I saw listed for about $3k used on ebay, which should cover the cost of the new water system....

Anyway, would love your input on this. I'm a bit clueless. But, it seems after I do the work and buy the parts to upgrade this, I'd be close to the cost of a new more effecient system...

I'm pretty sure this unit has a pressure valve on it, but I'll check when I get home.

OK, so here's what I'm thinking then:

1) Order a prefilter (thefilterguys.com?)
2) Get a 75 gpd membrane and check valve
3) Replace filters
so, there are 3 places for filters, 2 are in the unit, one is in a separate cylinder that is connected by 1/4" tubing (looks like the end of the chain, what is this btw? I'll check in the manual when I get home.)

So please correct this flow chart if I'm wrong....

Water line -> prefilter (need to purchase) -> Unit filter 1 (carbon?) -> Unit filter 2 (DI) -> Unknown Stage 3 filter (attached via soft tubing)

5 micron, carbon block or gac, membrane, DI

You can add a higher micron befor the 5 if you plug up to quickly. The above is a 4 stage with and extra prefilter youd have a 5 stage.

Don

So don, do you think I'm better off just buying a new setup? I can reuse the TDS meter, etc. from this, but with replacing/rebuilding everything for this 25 gpd system, might it be better to get something built off the bat to handle more? I'm thinking the cost isn't that much more to just get an upgrade, then I can sell this one to someone who has a smaller tank, which will help cover the cost....

I think I'll also sell my huge filter system, which I saw listed for about $3k used on ebay, which should cover the cost of the new water system....

Anyway, would love your input on this. I'm a bit clueless. But, it seems after I do the work and buy the parts to upgrade this, I'd be close to the cost of a new more effecient system...

I always built my own from older units. Sometimes you save and others you dont. If I were to start over I'd buy the dual membrane unit from the filter guys and be done with it. Even if you decide to expand on your system the filter guys will treat you right and supply with the good stuff at an affordable price.

You need to know your water pressure befor spending money on a dual membrane unit. If you dont have enough then you will need a booster pump. I'm lucky my house has 85 psi.

Don

OK. I've looked at some of the systems on the filter guys, and they are pretty cheap.

I'm going to figure out how to test my water pressure, then I'll continue on.

Is there a tool I can buy from lowe's or something to attach to my 1/4" water feed to see what pressure it is?

OK. I've looked at some of the systems on the filter guys, and they are pretty cheap.

I'm going to figure out how to test my water pressure, then I'll continue on.

Is there a tool I can buy from lowe's or something to attach to my 1/4" water feed to see what pressure it is?

I dont know about lowes. Maybe a local will let you use theirs. Your welcome to borrow mine but I'm down in tacoma. They are cheap from the filter guys.

Don

I hear they have presure gauges at lowes or HD that you can check WP, as far as how they connect no idea, but I would assume they have adapters???

Don't mean to hi-jack your thread Rob but here is what might be a silly question... What can you do with the waste water. It all seems really excessive. Can you bottle it and drink it? Can it be collected and used for watering the yard? Is it just junk that you send down the drain? I have heard that some drain it into their wash machines and use it there but we have one of those new fangled front loaders that take almost no water. We are trying to be conservative on water usage and it just seems these RODI units are in no way conservative with ratios like 1:1 or worse.

A good question. Wonder if it would be good for gardening since it has all the bad things concentrated in it....

Just checked my water pressure coming out of the 1/4" ID pipe I have running to my filter, and it is at 80 psi. So, should be good for a dual membrane system. I'm going to see what filterguys recommends

I have used SpectraPure for years. The "waste" water is drinkable or you can use it for other things if you do not feel it is safe to drink. I personally use it to water plants, dogs, and fill the washer up when I am doing a large water change. It may say waste water but I do not waste any of it. Worse case you dump it on your lawn / flower beds.

The filters are not that much to replace I think $30.00 each

"waste" water seems not very accurate a term, I assume its just the water that is rejected from the tap with the TDsolids still in that water, the same water we aer already drinking (if not tapping from RO pre DI for drinking).

So unless the filtration process "ADDS" something to the water that is "wasted" why cant it be used for any other use in house? I found a thread that some use it for thier FW aquariums, which I am considering. as well as laundry dishes pets etc...

Back